Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We would like everyone to take part in this poll to reflect there likes and dislikes for additions to our community. In the future we would like to attempt to make Beagle World a self-efficient community without the out side resources everyone uses to aid in their interaction within the community.

If you know of a resource not listed in this poll please tell us about it as we can consider something here to make the community better and larger.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I would like to see a site calendar, like the google one but on the site.
I would also love to see an on site real time chat box.
I think the photo hosting is a GREAT idea! That would save members so much time and trouble. If you could automatically add some sort of watermark or something to pics that uploaded to the site that would be beyond great! :thumbup:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Currently Dave has the option to receive notices disabled because it was stressing out the system.

Until that is resolved you can view the topics you have started as well as participated in by going to:
"my profile" and then under where it says "My Profile: Gingergoose" click "View my recent posts" (4th one down on the left)

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Email - If one person post a thread and 19 users reply and each of those users including the topic starter have the email notify on the server sends out 209 Email's

The Email system is a root system and the Web part is a secondary system. This would cause a slower web server to start.

Now if the above example indicates a large amount of Email then think of it when we have 30 active threads with 100 post's a day how much Email is generated.

Now many users here use Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail among other free Email services. Those services always black list places sending large amount of Email into those services causing your wanted mail from us to be placed in the bulk or spam category. New users registering do not know to look in those folders for their WANTED Email from us. Even though those users are approved members they never get the Email with their passcode and information causing them to never post or return to our community.

You may have noticed the member count up around 700 members or so at one time but decreased to around 300 members. This is partly as those users whom registered never had received the Email from us and never returned so those were deleted from the service. We currently have in the area of 50 registered users in the same category at this time. Yet another reason I do not like our users to be using free Email services while using our service, however that is what you all want.

The service when I cut out the Email sections as you are asking for was sending in the area of 3,000 un-necessary Emails out in a day's time. This had made the service 5 seconds slower and put us on every black list for all the free Email servers and also listed our server as a spammer.

We will not be turning on the Email notification any time in the near future. I have offered to have Email service to our members here in the Poll but the majority voted against it as of this time so we will not be looking into that service.

Now as far as the Poll. We have over 100 very active users but as of this posting only 18 users have filled out their likes and dislikes. This alone gives me reason to have second thoughts of ever expanding the community.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I voted but since I am not technically savy I wasn't sure what some of those things are....

I voted $0 for monthly but only because I would prefer to make a one time a year donation and I voted in that question. I think this is a wonderful place to make beagle friends and I know that the cost of keeping up these sites is not inexpensive so that is why I wouldn't mind donating to keep this place up and running and up with the times as far as technology goes !!!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Sammy's Mom:
I voted but since I am not technically savy I wasn't sure what some of those things are....

I voted $0 for monthly but only because I would prefer to make a one time a year donation and I voted in that question. I think this is a wonderful place to make beagle friends and I know that the cost of keeping up these sites is not inexpensive so that is why I wouldn't mind donating to keep this place up and running and up with the times as far as technology goes !!!
ditto that!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm not too good with explaining things (I would be a terrible teacher) so I got some on-line help for the definitions of some things on the survey.

According to Dictionary.com the definition of Blog is:
"Definition: an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page; also called Weblog, Web log
Example: Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.
Etymology: shortened form of Weblog"

According to Wikipedia.org a static web site is:
"A static Web page is a Web page that always comprises the same information in response to all download requests from all users."

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I like the idea of autonatic picture uploads directly to the site, that would be very useful. I tend to not post too many pictures because it's more of a pain to go through a hosting site.

As for the $$, I don't think that a monthly fee would be a good idea but more of a donation. What about allowing more advertising on the site to help fund it?

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I would like the automatic picture uploads too. Computer illiterate that I am, I have a hard time posting pictures, which deprives so many people of seeing my precious girl! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I like the idea of a donation! That way people can give what they can. I would hate to see someone leave the pack because a monthly fee is too much. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beagle World will always be free to those who wish to use the service as it is. The services are going to expand for the free usage to an extent without any problems. We are going to place a donate button on the site after the New Year sometime for those to make donations to help keep the community up and running if they wish to.

My interest through the poll is to get some sort of idea as well as asking the question of what other services the users of this community would like added and if it would be worth adding them as an expense issue.

None of the software we currently use is offered for free and is all licensed type software packages. This allows for less of a problem of bad people gaining access to the site and messing it up, as they would have to pay hundreds of dollars just to get a copy to be able to find holes in the software as well as exploits. We wish to continue using commercial licensed software for this very reason, security, and stability alike.

I do wish to also add other areas to the community that would be more expensive for me to carry but also augment the community as a group for those whom wish to use the extra features. The meaning behind the poll is to see how many people would be willing to use those services verses the cost of adding them and what the ability of charging a very small amount for those services would be. Other then that the current operating services plus the ability to upload your pictures onto our servers with your current BW account would remain free of charge to you the user of those services. Remember that nothing is actually free as some one somewhere had to pay for it. This pretty much means me.

This year we moved from a co-location facility to my own personal data center requiring all new equipment and related services. This allows me to operate at a more efficient cost and expand the services on my system without limitation to the former facility guidelines. In the beginning I was spending a large sum to purchase equipment to bring my very small data center online and get operating. I had done this with the intent of Beagle World being on a single server to add services and extend its abilities. After the move we found places to purchase equipment at a more affordable price, however that equipment was "just pulled" from service in other data centers and needed to be totally refurbished before it was able to be utilized and placed in service.

In all I have built a small data center this year with a value of just over $60,000 without any bank loans or borrowing any money from any source. This was all out of pocket expense. The purchase price was just over $10,000 for the equipment including the refurbishing costs. Beagle World alone cost me just over $3,000 for its part in the service. I intend to expand the Beagle World part in equipment in the near future as well as add more equipment as soon as I can start generating customers, capital from hosting, and yes working a 3rd job to pay for it all.

Until the major portion of the community actually takes the time to fill out the poll, and they have not at this time, I can not make any decisions on how to proceed or even if the interest is there for expanding the community.

Some of the new users may think that I’m kidding when I say a 3rd job but not only do I operate the data center completely on my own I also work during the day as the manager of a lock company. With that said I also work part time on in the evening and weekends.

All of this is taking place while taking care of my wife who is Ill and requires me to travel 1.5 hours one way for her medical treatments and running all the expenses of my home. I may sound like I have a lot of cash but in reality I’m pretty much broke all the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts