Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our neighbors came over to visit us. They have 2 black part Lab part Bull dog puppies. The puppies are under a year old, not sure how old they are. They are about 35 pounds a piece. They look about the same size as our doggies standing side by side. Anyway, we have never had people bring their dogs over to our house before. But our doggies and their doggies have been barking and talking to each other through the fence for months, so we thought they should meet face to face. I kept mine outside and let the neighbors come in and they carried their puppies outside. Just in case mine didn't like them in our yard. They sniffed and appeared fine. But when the puppies where put down, Sadie took off chasing the girl puppy Stella all around the yard baying and barking at her all the way around. Pooh Bear (male) had a great time playing with the neighbor puppies. They pawed at each other and just enjoyed being around each other. Sadie was very un-easy around them. And after her little run around the yard I was afraid of her over-doing it and put her in the house to rest. Yes, I know, poor Sadie, but you all know what we have gone through to get her to feeling better with her back. We all came back into the house for a bit and Sadie was not nice to the puppies. She was nipping at them and the pups just laid on their backs with their tummies up. It was funny and not funny at the same time. I know Sadie was just nervous and was protecting her home. We were not mad at her at all. We just all went back outside and left her inside to rest. After a bit the 2 boy doggies, Pooh Bear and Hunk (isn't that a cute name?) lay down under a tree in the shade and the girl puppy Stella ran around and investigated our yard. They had a nice play time and it was a nice visit.

Any ideas on how to get Sadie to get along better if they should visit us again?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds to me like Sadie was just exhibiting normal alpha behavior. The neighbor pups were showing their submission by laying on their backs. Once Sadie is secure in her dominance she'll mostly leave them alone, but she'll probably never want to play with them as much as your other dog. She'll mostly be "above that sort of thing."

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. Sadie is most definitely the alpha dog between Sadie and Pooh Bear.

So, she wasn't being bad, she was just being a normal alpha doggie of the group? I didn't think she was bad really, but was dissappointed that she didn't want to play with them like Pooh Bear did.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Sadie was just doing the 'normal' alpha thing....indeed. :biglaugh:

I have fostered dogs in the past, and I always have to watch them around Maggie. She is used to ruling the roost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts