Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Sadie and Pooh Bear on Frontline Plus for flea control. They have both been very itchy for a few months now. I even took Sadie to the vet for a Prednisone shot a few weeks ago. Pooh Bear has been itching and scratching a lot and I was just now sitting here petting him. He has several red irritated areas that he has been biting at. As I am looking at this red spot on him, I see a flea! I got it off of him and squished it. Now why isn't their Frontline working? I'll call the vet Monday.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
How long ago did you put the ampule on him? This time of year, you should probably do it once a month. Also, I would suggest you treat your back yard for fleas and other parasites, as Sadie and Pooh Bear spend time outside (If I recall correctly).

I hope they won't scratch for much longer.....

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We put it on them once a month. The next treatment is due June 26th, which is about 11 days away.

Yea, I need to get our pest control people out to spray the yard. We haven't had that done in a long time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have mine on Advantix (ticks are the biggest problem round here) and I've also noticed recently that it doesn't seem to be lasting the full month but someone suggested that it was because I take Beaglina swimming

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A month is the longest Frontline lasts. The size of the ampule depends on the size of the dog. We have avoided using it this year. Dave takes an average of 7 or 8 ticks off each dog every day. Susi is amazing at sniffing them out on Snoopy so Dave knows where to look!
Ours are vacinated against Lyme desease, the most common illness that ticks carry. A vet (one of them at the university) told us that Frontline sometimes can cause cancer.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took Pooh Bear today to the vet for his annual visit. He got a good report. I told her that I found a flea on him and the Frontline isn't due for another week and a half. Our vet said that Frontline isn't working for most dogs in our area (NW Florida). She recommended we switch to Advantix. I got a box of it and plan to put some on each Beagle in the morning.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the Advantix on both of them. Now we'll see if it does a better job of keeping the fleas off them than the Frontline Plus. When I took Pooh Bear for his annual visit they did a Senior blood profile test. He is only 8, but considered a Senior I guess. It is optional, but I thought what the heck. It tests a lot of things. We should get the results today. I'm not expecting anything wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My vet told me fleas and other parasites are getting immune to certain flea medicines, he told me front line plus was one of them but I guess it is because I asked about it. They have started carrying something called Vector 3-D. Supposably it is better and less expensive but I cannot find anything online about it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
We also use the frontline plus and treat our yard. But the last time I was at my vets office he was telling me that there is another disease that ticks are giving the animals. Its a long word that starts with an A.(sorry) He has something else that is suppose to numb the ticks mouth and kills them that way. What he was telling me is that most animals are now vacinated against Lyme, but there is no vacination for this. This disease is curable with antibiotics, but it takes longer than for Lymes and the animals become very, very lethargic prior too.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pooh Bear's routine annual blood work came back. The vet said everything looks fine, except that his blood sugar was just a tad bit low. She asked if it was near a feeding time. His appt. was at 4:30 p.m. and they usually get their dinner between 5 - 6 p.m. So I told her yes, it was near his dinner time. Would that seems normal for his blood sugar to be a bit low like that? I am a worry wart. The vet was not worried.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts