Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there’s people here who brush their dogs teeth regularly, and imagine there are those who, like me, never do.
Our pups get baths every weekend. After a week of rolling around in the yard and slobbering all over each other, they need it if they’re going to lay on the bed or couch with us.
They come out all soft and smelling like oatmeal, almonds, and ear wash.
You can’t help but give them a big old hug. :pukey: :pukey:

Brushing their teeth is out of the question. We’ve tried brushes, finger tip brushes, wiping pads, etc. They just won’t stand for it, and I don’t have the heart to use the amount of force it would take to restrain them. That’s why they go to the vet for nail trimming.
I guess an occasional cleaning and oral exam by the vet is needed. It’s my understanding that they put them under for this. Which isn’t good for them, but neither is having bad teeth.

Who has their Beagle’s teeth cleaned by the vet, and how often?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
For my vet to have to do it, they have to knock the dog right out so I don't get it done there. I give my two raw marrow bones and different teeth cleaning things (bully sticks work really well). My two love having their teeth brushed though, they love the dog tooth paste. I mean, they really just try to chew the brush but as long as I can get the paste somewhat on their teeth, it does it's job. Try holding the snout clodes then just brushing the outsides of the teeth, that way you can do both top and botton at the same time.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have had Maggie's teeth cleaned once a year every year. Some years, if she has had to have other procedures done such as tumor removal, I have combined the procedures so she only has to have anesthesia once. Maggie has never had to have teeth pulled or gingivitis -- she does have a problem with tartar build-up on her molars. If Maggie is just having her teeth cleaned, my vet uses a light anesthesia.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
For now, I brush Chloe's teeth, it's better for her than being put down for it by the vet, and costs a lot less....
I also give her bull sticks and merrow bones which help a lot keeping her teeth clean.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's two votes for bully sticks. In fact, the last time I was in Petsmart looking through the chew treats, a clerk pointed to them and said I should try them. I guess I’ll have to.
Judy, I saw in a previous post that you just had Maggie's teeth cleaned. I think that's what I need to do. There's no way I can get them as clean as they should be to start with, but maybe I can keep them that way for a while after the vet does it.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer & Sydney had dirty teeth a few months ago and one bully stick each really cleaned them. The only thing with them is that they give Spencer gas so I try not to give them too often. Raw marrow bones really work if there is som meat on the outside of them. Really helps clean the teeth. Just go to your butcher and ask for soup bomes or marrow bones, keep the frozen, and give them to the dog that way. I run it under warm water quickly to loosen up the outside meat a bit but I give them frozen.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scratch the cleanings at $300 to $500 each. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Bought some bully sticks today and they love them. In fact, I think I could give them one, grab the end, then brush their teeth while they are refusing to let go of the other end! :biglaugh:
I did get some marrow bones when we first got Sparky, but they fought over them because he thought he needed to have hers too. He's getting much better about that. So I might try them again. Maybe when he's crated at bed time. (She goes in her crate too but we leave her door open.)
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
My two are always crated when they get them, even if it is in the middle of the evening. I don't want raw bone and meat all over my carpets. I just sit there and watch to be sure that they don't break any pieces off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts