Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Molly, it looks like she has another urinary infection. That area is inflamed and she is straining to pee. Plus she had 2 accidents in her bed. Guess I will capture a pee sample and take it for testing.

Are UTI's common with beagles? Is there something I can do to help? She drinks plently of water and has some mixed in her food.

She is a rescue dog and is about 3 years old. I am thinking maybe she had an severe untreated UTI in her previous situation.

Hmmmm?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't know much about UTI's, but I know in humans if you are suseptable to bacterial infections you should get good bacteria in your system because the medicines kill off both the good and bad kind. My wife eats yogurt like Danactive to replace the good bateria in her system. You could mix it in her food for an extra treat at mealtime. It can't hurt, but it may help.

·
Registered
890 Posts
When I got home from work tonight I told the wife about the post above and she said Did you tell them that the yogurt can't have any artificial sweetners in it? No... I am now. Usually you have to use just plain yogurt with no diet or low anything.

Our first beagle Cleo was rather sickly and she had infections all the time, mostly ear infections. Our vet suggested the yogurt. She also suggested watered down chicken soup when they aren't feeling good. They loooove that.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that idea. They love plain yogurt anyway and Andy, my greyhound, is prone to ear infections.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Don't know much about UTI's since I haven't had any experience with them in my dogs. However, many humans who have problems use cranberry juice - but doubt if you could get a dog to go for that. You can get it in pill form, tho. As far as ear infections - my vet says that most ear infections are caused by food allergies - when I got my Romeo as a pup, he had frequent infections - I had kept him on the food his breeder recommended, but when I switched to a food without wheat or corn, we had no more problems. Both wheat and corn are major allergens to many dogs and the only OTHER ear infection we've had here was that Lottie came to me with one. Once it was cleared up and she was on a wheat/corn free food, I've had no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think I will try the yogurt idea. Maggie just had her first UTI. In fact I just came in from the dark, wet, pouring rain, leaf filled back yard from collecting a sample to take in for a follow up.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My greyhound's ear infection goes way back to his track days. He had an untreated double ear infection (bacteria/yeast). We got it all cleared up finally, but he does get them easily.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think that UTI's are more common in beagles, but they can be more prevalent in females. Our late darling Debut had a couple of them while she lived with us, and we had to be careful about her drinking water to make sure it was always fresh, especially the water dish in her crate, where she spent a good deal of her time (her choice, not ours).

As long as we monitored the drinking water she didn't suffer from UTI's. If she did come down with a UTI, though a quick cycle of antibiotics cleared it up.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Molly is my first girlie dog so I have to learn to watch for those things. But since I am a girlie too, I have a pretty good idea

·
Registered
147 Posts
could it also be tied to how long she is holding it for? I know this can happen in humans...though I'm not sure how long is considered too long...

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
I can only share my own experiences, but Maggie had frequent UTI's when she had chronic anal gland problems. Her vet said that wasn't normal, but figured she was licking her bottom so much, she might have been infecting her urether area.

Somebody mentioned cranberry juice; I was told that wasn't a good idea in dogs, since bladder stones are common and there is a certain type which is made worse with cranberry juice (Maggie has those also....sheesh)

I always tell Mags, 'if we cut off your back end, you'd be perfect!!!'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts