Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months Franny hasn't been herself. She's been acting a little strange, wasn't eating normally, and just seemed off. We kept taking her back to the vet (three times since January) insisting something is wrong, but they kept telling us she was fine, we can't find anything. Well something was wrong, very wrong, but it wasn't at a state where they could detect it by feel or by checking her blood (I wonder if an early ultrasound would have found it). Finally yesterday they felt something, did an ultrasound, and she has stage three cancer. Her liver is pretty much gone, it's on her spleen, and in her lungs. Basically they said she has a month at the most, but will likely be just a week or two. It has to be super aggressive because we had blood work done at the beginning of February and everything was normal. She's 12.

This is a very sad day. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I just pray she lets us know the right time. I don't know what to do. She will still eat people food (chicken and rice is her favorite). she'll still even arrooo for it. The vet said when she stopped eating entirely it's probably time.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say. That's terrible news. Just keep her comfortable and well loved, she'll know that you're doing your best. Can maybe get a second opinion? Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Franny. My last dog passed away from cancer too. You will know when the time is right, but don't dwell on that now. Just enjoy your time together.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oh my goodness, I just don't know what to say other than that my heart aches for you and what you (and Franny) must be going through right now.

Have you been following the Daily Digital - and in particular seen the post from yesterday about one of the Daily Digital beagles (Scooter) passing away from cancer on Tuesday? I ask because your comment about not knowing what to do, and hoping Franny will tell you the right time, resonated with me because that is exactly what Scooter's mom also wondered in her online diary on the Daily Digital during the last few weeks of Scooter's life - and then in her post when he passed away the first thing she said was that he did let them know.... I don't know if emailing her would be of any help to you at this difficult time, but just raise it as a suggestion.

Thinking of you....

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh my GOD!! I'm sooo very sorry. Keep us posted with the news at the vet please!

Charlie mom

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear this. It always makes me sad when I hear of one of our little loved ones are sick.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear this news. I don't know what to say except for you to try to enjoy your time with her. I wish for more time for her.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Tears are welling up in my eyes now. I'm so sorry I don't know just what to say except make the most of your time left together.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Oh no ... I am so sorry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I will say a prayer that you all enjoy each other in whatever time you have .......

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that and please keep us posted when you can. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
667 Posts
Im so sorry to hear this.

My cat, Midnight, grew up with me, slept with me every night... and I found the cancer mass on his legs when I was 17 years old...was spread to the lungs and all over.

Mom put him down before I even knew what it was..the very day I felt the mass...all I think about now is how much suffering he went through before we found it (see, I was in HS and didnt play/pet with him much)

I know that he was put to sleep and it made him suffer less in the long run...there is a line between us letting go and letting them be pain free.

I am so so very sorry and I am in tears now for you and what you have to do eventually....god, Im so sorry!!!

*HUGS*

·
Registered
889 Posts
I am very sorry to hear such bad news about Franny. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear, we are so sorry to hear the terrible news, our thoughts are with you and Franny. Enjoy the time left, as long as there is a wag of the tail she is happy. It is true, one knows when the moment has come, our Spotty died of cancer April 2005. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am so sorry for you and for Franny. Give her lots of love from us-

Katie, Buckley and Jewelie

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I've lost two dogs to cancer in 10 years. One case was similar to Franny's in that it could have been detected earlier with an ultrasound.

Please know that I am thinking about you and Franny...actually reliving the past since I read your post.

Pass extra loving hugs and kisses to her from Henry and I. And if you want a shoulder (who has been there) to cry on, PM me.

I'm so sorry.

~Denise~

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
MakoCSH,

I'm very sorry to hear this. Finding the cancer at stage 3 is hard. All you can do is keep her happy and pain free. Enjoy the time you have with her. We will keep you and Franny in our thoughts.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts