Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm getting the feeling that my 6-yr old Oreo wasn't kept indoors by previous owners (can't say for sure because he was found as a stray).

I noticed that he seems extra timid when going from carpet to tile or vice versa. And because he's frightened indoors, I don't know how to begin obedience training (which I've read should help grow his confidence). He is improving a little but it seems like he's scared even when he's eating a piece of chicken or a treat!

How do I do any training with a timid dog, considering that giving praise/comfort when he's scared may just reinforce that condition? Any advice?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Patience and don't beat him! I know you won't do the later but he doesn't so one of the best things is just time. He will start to realize that hey, it ain't like it was the last 6 years. Obedience school and getting praise/rewards when he does good will help him out of his shell. Doing nothing when he acts timid will also give him confidence since obviously, something bad happened before which is why he acts so scared. A class where there are other dogs will help him more but you can also work on the basic sit, stay, and come commands at home, on walks, etc. He gets praise/rewards when he does what you ask and nothing bad happens when he doesn't will bring him out of his shell. No matter how bad is past has been, he wants to trust you. Time and patience and one day he will start acting like the beagle he is. <span style="font-weight: bold">Warning: It may bring tears to your eyes when you realize he is shedding his rescue baggage.</span>

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Poor Oreo. I agree with obedience classes especially if you can do a group class. Maggie learns so much from watching other dogs.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
First let him settle. Our two rescues had to learn normal life from scratch. Susi still has the occasional accident in the house but we ignore it rather than tell her off. Today we realised that she is still carrying baggage, when she nearly jumped out of her skin when our cuckoo clock chimned and the cuckoo popped out. It had been broken and had just been repaired.
For the first week our two came to us, they just wanted to sleep. They hadnt had the comfort of their own beds or a couch! Susi had to learn to use the stairs, that took a couple of months. I could write pages about the first year we got them.
So patience and you'll have the most loving beagle.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes, patience is needed with our rescues. Li'l Girl has been with us for 8 years, and still gets spooked at times for no apparent reason.
We just try to reassure her at those times even though we don't know what causes the fear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. So far, he's starting to understand that he gets a walk first thing in the morning, which seems to make him happy. He wagged his tail a little and jumped up when I came home yesterday and he came back through the doggy door <span style="font-weight: bold">on his own</span> this morning after going #1!

I'd really love it if he started taking to his Kong more but it's just these little improvements that bring me a lot of joy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I adopted Sweetie who was a fraidy dog....and quite frankly she still sort of is. I laid down runners on the hardwood floor except the kitchen. I let her settle and it took a solid 6 months. I finally have her to the point she will come out every once in a while to the living room....My theory was if she is happy to sleep in the bedroom then let her be.
I have since adopted a normal dog who has helped her on alot of fear based issues...though I will say I think I lucked out getting such a well rounded dog.
Patience is the best thing here....sometimes it takes time for them to settle!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I shudder to imagine what people do to dogs that make them so afraid. I have never had a fraidy dog myself, but it sounds like Oreo has found a good home with you and over time he will come out of his shell. Its wonderful you have seen improvements already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts