Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sulli just came home to us tonight. She is my first Lemon Beagle. I am wondering if Lemons all have this faded nose or if she may have Snow Nose. She was a totally outdoor dog for the last year in a Utah climate (cold & snowy) in winter. I figure it doesn't really matter and in time I will see a change now that she will be an indoor dog, but I was just curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
I don't know about the nose thing, but she sure is a beauty!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
You might find this article a bit helpful:

http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/reds.htm

There are three types of two-tone beagles - red and white, tan and white and then lemon and white. I wouldn't call your bitch a L&W going by that photo, she is probably more likely to be a R&W or a T&W - her red looks too strong to be a true L&W.

As for nose colour, it does depend on the genes. Liver noses are very common in two-tone beagles.

This is my tan and white, you can see her nose colour here:

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There is a difference between a black nose fading to pink, and a pink liver nose (naturally). From the picture it looks like a former black nose. I've heard in my other forum that it's a reaction of the skin to feeding/drinking from plastic bowls....

Sulli is gorgeous
regardless to the nose

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally Posted By: SmeagleYou might find this article a bit helpful:

http://clubs.akc.org/NBC/reds.htm

There are three types of two-tone beagles - red and white, tan and white and then lemon and white. I wouldn't call your bitch a L&W going by that photo, she is probably more likely to be a R&W or a T&W - her red looks too strong to be a true L&W.

As for nose colour, it does depend on the genes. Liver noses are very common in two-tone beagles.

This is my tan and white, you can see her nose colour here:
I agree that she is more of a red and white than a lemon Beagle, but rarely do I hear people refer to them that way. When they are the duo-colored it seems that people around here always call them lemons, but the duo-colored is what I was looking for more than the actual shade of color.

Thanks for the web address. It's neat to see the varying shades of Beagles.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: beagletails
I agree that she is more of a red and white than a lemon Beagle, but rarely do I hear people refer to them that way. When they are the duo-colored it seems that people around here always call them lemons, but the duo-colored is what I was looking for more than the actual shade of color.

Thanks for the web address. It's neat to see the varying shades of Beagles.
No worries, isn't it funny how different countries use different terms more than others - here you see more 'tan and whites' than lemons and T&W is the most popular term for a two-tone beagle.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smeagle...the sad thing is that is how she is referred to on her AKC paperwork too which can be misleading to some people. When and if we decide to breed her (after her full medical check) I will be sure to advertise her pups the way they truly are. Chocolates, Lemons, Tan/White, Red/White, Black/tans, tri-color, etc... The pedigrees are subjective though I guess since I can't be there in the past.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My lemon Maggie has a pinkie color nose, with a dark rim around it. Your new baby is precious....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: beagletailsSmeagle...the sad thing is that is how she is referred to on her AKC paperwork too which can be misleading to some people. When and if we decide to breed her (after her full medical check) I will be sure to advertise her pups the way they truly are. Chocolates, Lemons, Tan/White, Red/White, Black/tans, tri-color, etc... The pedigrees are subjective though I guess since I can't be there in the past.
Yeah I imagine it would be... its all up to how the breeder registers her I guess, and if lemon/white is the most popular name for a two tone beagle in the US then I guess that is what most people will call it. Are you showing her? Just curious if there many two-tones in the ring in the US.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey is a red/lemon/whatever you want to call it and white. She has a faded nose. It was black when I first got her and has since faded to pink, although there are still some traces of black. The same thing happened with Amber, although not as drastic. And I don't think it's snow nose here in warm and sunny Florida, although we do keep the air set very cold.

Here are some pictures...

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
And Jersey's color is starting to fade out in her face already (she's only 3)...I've wondered if the fading nose and the fading color could somehow be related.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jersey is very cute. I guess time will tell if Sulli's nose will darken or if she just has a light colored nose. It's no biggy either way as I will love her no matter what color her nose is. lol

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot to answer smeagle's question. I do not show my dogs. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to get started in doing so, but I do think it would be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: beagletailsI forgot to answer smeagle's question. I do not show my dogs. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to get started in doing so, but I do think it would be a lot of fun.
It would depend on what type of pedigree papers you have for your dogs - main or limited register. Main register papers mean you can show and breed, limited register means your dog is pet quality and can't be shown or bred from.

It's fun and always a good idea for breeders so they can see what bloodlines are out there, what they are like and of course get some good criticism on their dog's structure etc.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I need someone local to be a mentor so I can watch and learn at first and then I would love to do it. All my dogs have full AKC registration papers. That is the only way I will purchase them. I am quite certain that my male would do well if I could ever teach him to stand up for an examination. All he does is lays down and flips over so you can rub his belly. lol I know...that is my fault for not actually training my dogs, but he has been that way since we purchased him at 5 weeks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts