Our Beagle World Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I guess this is to all you breeders out there. I thought I share my experience so people can learn a little. I picked up my puppy on the 5th of August, so very recently. Prior to that I did over 1 years worth of research and thinking of which breed suits our family best. I have to admit I was still unsure of beagles as I had read about various issues like chewing, energy and and and. However, I decided to make an appointment with a breeder who lives 45 min drive from here for a beagle puppy. We texted him on the way there to let him know that we were on time. When we got there the breeder himself was out with another pet at the vet, and instead we were welcomed by 4 teenagers. :scary:
The teenagers showed us two puppies who were absolutely adorable. I fully expected to be asked a number of questions to my person and family to ensure the little puppy would go to a safe home but nothing. I have to say the teens were able to answer most of our questions. I also expected to be asked to come back the next day for pick up if we decided to take one of the puppies, but again this was not the case and we were given the puppy outright without questions asked. :utoh:
I'm not sure about you but I feel it is the buyers as well as the sellers responsibility to assure the puppies safety and in my mind that was not the case with us. :no:
So, if you are a breeder, please make it your business not only to share info about the puppy (which wasn't happening with us neither) but also to make sure that the buyer is a suitable match. We were lucky that we had thought about it and prepared a great deal before, but I can imagine a lot of people buy puppies out of an emotional state, and they don't know what hits them. These puppies are the once who will end up at rescue centres which is not fair on the puppy.

Oh, and don't feed the puppy before you send him of on a 45 min car journey. Our puppy was car sick as a result of this ( he has been fine since). :shocked:

Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)
this is why you dont support breeders like this. by buying a dog from them. you give them a income which in turn they will think to keep breeding to make money.

a good breeder will not be making money of a litter. they will ask questions. they will pick the puppy for you ect

so all you did was support a shady breeder. and those are the people who make rescues full

·
Registered
9 Posts
this is why you dont support breeders like this. by buying a dog from them. you give them a income which in turn they will think to keep breeding to make money.

a good breeder will not be making money of a litter. they will ask questions. they will pick the puppy for you ect

so all you did was support a shady breeder. and those are the people who make rescues full
Unfortunately I didn't know that, and that is part of the reason why I'm posting this story. People who buy from breeders like this usually keep quite about it for various reasons, one being the "should have known better" one. I am only a newbie when it comes to dogs, and on top of it I was dealing with my sons severe social anxiety. It took me a lot of convincing getting my son (a teenager) to come in with me... So, no, I'm not perfect, but never less I am truthful about it and hope others will learn from my mistakes!

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's depressing to hear how many stories you'll hear about the lack of responsibility in breeders and owners that you hear. It's why my handsome man is neutered. I thought since I could not guarantee the well being of whatever pups he produced it was for the best. I was also one of those people who didn't know what I was getting myself into with this breed. I was ready for a companion and I knew a breeder. Oh boy did our first year together teach us BOTH some good lessons. Lol! However giving up should never be an option. I may not have been ready for Murphy, but he helped me to get there. Now I can't imagine my life without him, and thanks to that high prey drive and unrelenting energy... my size fives fit like a dream. Lol!!!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts