Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted by Beaglemom:
<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Anyway, I just wanted to know more about the beagle. The only problem I can forsee is the barking and I wondered how many of you feel that it is a big issue and not trainable? Should I stay away from the breed if the barking/howling is an all day thing? BTW: I would get two to keep themselves company - better or worse on the barking issue?

Thanks and sorry for being so long winded...</span></span>

You are not! You are being a good dog owner for learning about the breed of your choice before getting it.
Not all Beagles bay, and a lot of them who howl/bay, don't do it all day long. There has to be something to trigger their vocal cords. Beagles usually bay when they hunt and sniff to let you know the found something, or when they are extremely excited. They howl when they are startled by something (mine does anyway) and when they greet a new dog. There are quieter Beagles and noisier Beagles. You can choose the mellower pair when you go and get your pups.

As for one or two, if you can I would recommend on two. I have one, but am dying to get another one (I just can't at the moment....). Beagles are pack oriented and simply love being with their family. When they are left alone they often have separation anxiety (mostly treatable to some extent) which you can avoid by properly getting the puppy to be alone. Many of the members have more than one Beagle and I don't think one of them regrets it. Some even have two the same age (brothers/sisters) so they can help with tips on raising two puppies together.

Welcome

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am sorry you are losing your baby. This must be such a difficult time for you. My beagle Maggie is 2. I have had her since she was 8 weeks and have only heard real beagle baying a few times. Those were times when I wasn't careful enough about letting her in the back yard at night and she treed raccoons. As far as barking, she barks at strangers when they come to the house or even walk down the street. She never barks when she knows the people at the door. She barks at squirrels when they are on the fence teasing her, and at cats that she doesn't know. In general she barks less than any of my neighbor's dogs, an Aussie in the back of us, two Boston Terriers on one side and three large mixed breed dogs on the other side. However Maggie is never outside if we aren't at home and I don't know if she would bark more if she was alone or bored.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thank you so much! What's the difference between a bay and a howl?

Yes, Malamutes are very pack oriented too and I would only have two, never one - it just seems so lonely to me. Makaella has an agressive temperment which is why I didn't get a puppy after Simon passed.

I have made some big changes in my work life recently and now I will only have to work 3 days a week though they will be 12 hour days. I have yet to figure out how they will get their evening meal on time but I will. In my life - they come first. (Probably why I never got married, huh?) LOL

It's a good thing my new employer will be my vet - they allow you to bring your dogs to work! Though I couldn't do it everyday, when they had the room I could and that will help.

I also have to figure out what to do with them in the winter. Mal's LOVE the outside no matter how bad it is. For years they tried to convince me to move outside. They even offered to carry out the couch for me - I didn't fall for it.

Beagles will have to stay inside - do you crate them after puppyhood? You can see I've got a lot to learn. I'll keep reading the posts and I know I'll learn more.

Thanks again,

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really depends on the dog a lot if you crate them when they are older. I never crated Chloe (only nights). Some Beagles get so used to being in their crates, that when their owners are away, they go to the crate until they come back. Some will have to be crated or confined to a room when the owners are away, just because they tear up the entire house.... It's your choice - bottom line.

I don't think there is a difference between howl and bay. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but howling is usually referred more to wildlife (jackils, maybe?) and I've only heard baying referred to Beagles. Basically it's their unique voice being heard...
. I personally love it when Chloe bays.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We still keep Maggie crated when we are not at home. She gets into everything. I am afraid if she got too bored I might come home to total destruction or that she might eat something dangerous. Maggie does not mind being crated. She just goes to sleep. If we will be gone more than a couple of hours I always arrange for my dad or a friend to come let her out for a while. My dad says she doesn't always want to be out and will greet him and then go back to bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts