Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the sounds of a pack of beagles "singing" - you would have loved to be here a few minutes ago. My "Choir Director", Miss Princess, knew I was down here in the basement, so she called the choir to "order" and a beagle song ensued! Even the little girls, and the little boys all joined in - I just sat here and laughed outloud for a minute - but knowing my neighbors, if they heard the dogs, they'd call the police, so I had to quiet them. Sigh - it was such a lovely song, too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I am always amazed how loud Marley is when I leave and her him "sounding" for me. Mommy come back! My poor neighbors.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love to hear them, but have to keep the "lid on" most of the time. Our town has a 24/7 noise ordinance, so there is NO time that they can bark that someone CAN'T complain. Because of this they have to spend the majority of their time in the house - with just brief potty breaks throughout the day - and I have to be ready to bring them in quickly if the neighbor's dog or cats are out, obviously they bark if the little dog next door is running free (and yes, there is a leash law - but they don't observe it - I'm just afraid she's going to get run over, she so little and hard to see). I had hoped to be able to sell this place and move to a couple of acres away from anyone so the dogs could enjoy being outside more. It's so unfair to keep them cooped up because of this silly ordinance. Most places the ordinance is after 10 pm and before 7 pm - but not here.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Some people nowdays just don't know good "music" when they hear it ! :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I just received a letter from our County, oh I opened it with great stress fearing it is a complain from my neighbors. :freak:
It is just a license renewal form whew!
Charlie doesn't howl much, only when he hears a siren, but he barks crazy in the yard, I mean LOUD!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is really funny about the singing along with sirens - NONE of this pack does that, but my mom had a mini-Schnauzer who would throw back his little head and HOWL any time a siren went by (our Main Street is Highway 195 - so we get a LOT of sirens). We laughed at him a lot because it was so funny to see and hear. The German Shepherd next door also howled at sirens, but none of these do. I love it when they all get together and "sing" - but guess you have to be a "beagler" to appreciate that!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Have anyone seen the commercial on Geico Insurance. That little Geico stands up on its hind legs. I have a TV mounted up on my kitchen wall, at least 5' to 6' from the floor. Charlie saw that little creature and did the same thing standing on his hind legs and stared at the TV until the commercial is over. I couldn't get to the camera in time to take a picture. He would also look at the TV when a siren goes on in the TV, I found this funny too.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I already have a very accomplished solo vocalist in my house :biglaugh: Boeing is very vocal, and he has this very distinctive bark/howl which can be heard for blocks. Again, I'm trying to imagine having a beagle choir in our house. We'd probably be banished from the neighborhood /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
How cute that must have been! Duke has never howled. I'm not sure if I should be grateful or sorrowful for that. Somehow I have ended up with a male lab that never barked in his life until we got Duke, but Duke pesters him enough and Roscoe lets out a bark. Our cat hardly meows and when she does, it's this weak, quiet meow, and Duke is a very quiet beagle (but when he does bark, the "rooster bark" is LOUD!). Cassie the lab is our talker, but we have often wondered how we ended up with such quiet animals. The vet says they're all fine, they must not have anything to complain about.LOL

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's funny, Zookeeper that you have such quiet animals! Actually the noisiest beagle here belongs to my daughter, I have to be very careful with him because he barks at air molecules then gets the others started.
When I got my "Little Lottie" who came to me with so many problems - the vet had to do emergency dental surgery on her the day AFTER I picked her up at the airport. He removed 7 broken or abcessed teeth, and a chunk of dead, black bone from her jaw. He also told me he thought she'd been "debarked" because her throat was so closed he had to use a size of tube that was normally used for a LITTLE kitten (Lottie is a small beagle, but not THAT small). I was furious because I think that is cruel. She NEVER barked. Then one day about two weeks after she came here, I heard a STRANGE BARK (yes, with ten beagles, I can usually tell who is barking), and went in to find Lottie in the chair by the window just barking her little head off! It was the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard, and I cried! Silly old woman that I am!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh, poor little Lottie, that just breaks your heart to know she was treated so cruelly. Sounds like she found the perfect home to make her sing again. I would have cried, too!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many things about Lottie break my heart. She is a tiny little girl that I saw online one night when "browsing". Something about her "called to me" even though I wasn't planning to get another dog, so I called and got her. She was in Oregon so had to be flown to Spokane (nearest large airport to us). When I picked her up at the cargo office they said they usually put the dogs up in the front area but she SMELLED so bad (from the abcessed teeth) that they put her in the back room.
She was originally from a LARGE breeder of show beagles in WA (they've since moved to MO so they sold off a lot of their dogs). The breeder I bought her from was in Oregon - and she told me she had had an abcessed tooth pulled already - and "thought" she might have another. I told her I'd take her to my vet - and I did - the day after she came here. The results of that visit are in my previous post. She also came with some other "issues" - like cowering at loud noises or sudden movements. She's turned into a beautiful little lady who LOVES to be talked to - BUT she still startles easily (and that breaks my heart). I have a habit of grabbing a handful of kibble and tossing it to get the dogs to go outside - she cowers at that still. It seems her original breeder used to throw pebbles at the dogs to make them stop barking. GRRRRR! She is a little love, and is an important part of my pack. Here's my "Ladmar's Whole Lotta Trouble" aka "Little Lottie!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We get to hear this "singing?" often at our house. We've had it 2 mornings in a row now. We've had some sort of critter come in our yard and our doggies pick up the scent and start in. Sadie has a high pitched bark/yip when she is on a scent. Pooh Bear only joins in for a fresh scent and he has a lower voiced baying.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I find myself smiling everytime Chlow "sings".... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I think it's beautiful, but out in the neighborhood park, the neighbors around it think different :p .

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eleanor, you're obviously a real "beagler" - it is truly music to my ears - just wish I could let them "bay" without worrying about neighbors!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
She's a gorgeous girl, BeaglesMom. And she looks so healthy, considering where she came from.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The only time I hear Jersey's howl is when she's left home alone. It sounds like she is being tortured though. So, she goes to doggie day care instead of being left home alone. Apparently my neighbors (we live in an apartment) don't enjoy those sounds at 7 in the morning. Otherwise she's a very quiet girl. She'll occassionally bark at something outside, but that's rare.

Beaglesmom, it breaks my heart to hear poor Lottie's story. It amazes me sometimes how cruel people can be to their pets. Lottie, you're a very lucky girl now!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I think that Miss Daisy is going to be a "talkative" one from what I can tell. This will take a lot of getting used to since my last dog was so quiet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts