Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best type of food to feed a 3 month old puppy?

Another member told me I was feeding him low quality food so I am looking for a better brand. I am feeding him regular Purina One puppy formula.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I use Purina One Puppy formula also and the dogs all seem to be doing fine. Good shiny coats and healthy dogs.

I think what someone said was the poop eating may be a nutrition problem, but I don't think they said that Purina One is a poor quality food. I could be wrong, but that isn't how I interpreted their comments.

I have one poop eater and several non poop eaters and they all eat the same food. I think it is just a dog thing and you just need to turn your head so you don't see them doing it. This is the reason we do not allow dog kisses in our household though. No licking allowed here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:Originally posted by beagletails:
I use Purina One Puppy formula also and the dogs all seem to be doing fine. Good shiny coats and healthy dogs.

I think what someone said was the poop eating may be a nutrition problem, but I don't think they said that Purina One is a poor quality food. I could be wrong, but that isn't how I interpreted their comments.

I have one poop eater and several non poop eaters and they all eat the same food. I think it is just a dog thing and you just need to turn your head so you don't see them doing it. This is the reason we do not allow dog kisses in our household though. No licking allowed here.
I am not understanding you then. how do I improv his nutrition if Purina One is a good brand of food?

I like dog kisses, and I despise this behavior. I won't have it, I really won't. Please help.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi!

There are certain things we've got to accept with a grain of salt. For some reason Beagles have a tendancy to eat poop. It's not something I like either, but "sh**" happens (as they say!)

The best way to prevent this is to clean the yard of poop every time he goes potty. Even to the extent of following him with the scooper.

It is disgusting to us but it doesn't seem to harm the dogs much if at all. I think the only thing to watch for is parasites like worms. Ask your vet about how old your pup has to be before he can have a year-round monthly heartworm medication. Daisy gets Sentinal which protects against several types of worms, although not all.

Hope this helps some. :pukey:

·
Registered
509 Posts
buy a doggy toothbrush and paste!

although I would never do that cause Im too lazy... I just give Glover a chewy thing that cleans his teeth and refuse doggy kisses on my face... then again.. he doesn't eat poo lol

oh well I hope you work something out!

xx
K

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was also told that purina was low quality, so switched my dog from purina to natural choice. I had debated science diet or natrual choice but i was told they were both good food. My pup seems to be doing well on this food.
he has really never eaten his poop either. he smells it but never eats it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We had an issue with Duke eating his poop and I have fed him a high quality food with no corn fillers since the day we got him. I even switched from Nature's Recipe to Authority to see if it made a difference, nope. Then we bought the pills that you give them to stop the behavior and they seemed to help.

Not saying they worked 100%, but with time he stopped eating it unless he goes inside. He knows he's not supposed to go inside and when he does, he tries to hide it by eating it (Ewww!). Luckily, that doesn't happen very often.

Time aslo helps the situation, they grow up and grow out of some behavior. You have to remember that the most important part of training a puppy is patience. No, they are not going to listen to everything you want, just like a child. With patience and love and time, they will become the dog you want. Don't try to push the issue, you will lose. LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Our beagle is on Royal Canine and we've only had one attempt at eating poop and people are always commenting on what a nice, shinny coat Boomer has.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will chime in here and say that Purina is a low grade dog food. I've done my homework when it comes to dog food because I have 2 dogs with food allergies- to corn, soy, wheat, oats, and barley. My beagle Socket is also very intolerant/sensitive to chicken meat/meal in dog foods.

Here is some information that I have from a different labrador forum that I'm a member of:

Choosing a new dog food can be an overwhelming decision. Learning to read the label on the bag can go a long way toward helping you decide.

The following guidelines are courtesy of Whole Dog Journal:

*One or more named meats(Chicken, Lamb, etc.) in the first few ingredients (or a named meat and a named meat meal)
*Whole foods (i.e. rice rather than brewer's rice, corn vs. corn gluten meal)
*No unnamed animal sources (i.e. Animal Fat, Meat and bone meal)
*No artificial colors or flavors
*No chemical preservatives (i.e. BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin)
*No added sugars or artificial sweeteners

Here's also a website that grades dog foods by their ingredients, etc.
http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/petfoods_pg1.htm

Hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you want some advice/suggestions.

I'm going to dig up some info that I have on coprophagia (poo eating) and see what I can find. There are things that you can add to the dog food to discourage the eating of feces.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Don't know much about this other than what people have already said but wanted to say good luck. This is one thing I can say I didn't have to deal with with Marley. I place a bag down under his butt when he squats and then throw it out. I don't let him get near other dog's poop, he has not really tried to go near it on walks.

Anyway, Purina is a lower quality food, I have heard too. Socket's mom offered good info that I need too because I am taking Marley off of Eukanuba and didn't know what else to get.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Ok well I am going to give my opinion and I am not meaning to offend anyone. Purina, Pedigree, and Science Diet are all pretty low quality food. You really want to look at the first 5 ingredients in the food, but still consider the rest.

I am switching my two to Merrick right now, the adult version of this.
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=14&s=20280

I am also a fan of Orijen, Fromm, and Wellness. Take a look at what your store offers and let us know and maybe we can help you choose. Just a note, anything you can buy at a grocery store or Walmart is very low quality so if possible, don't even consider them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
In my opinion, anything purchased at a grocery/discount store isn't a good quality food. I've used Innova foods with Jersey and Amber before her and I've been very happy with the results. I add a little bit of canned food to Jersey's dry kibble and for that I've been using Merrick. However, lots of dogs have lived long, healthy lives on grocery store brand foods. As for the poop eating, Jersey never did that. For years, Amber ate hers no matter what we did. We just made sure to clean up the yard every day to make sure she didn't have any around to munch on. She eventually grew out of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts