Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized today that I'd totally forgotten about what to store the dog food in!
We used to store it in a big old (clean!) trash can, but the ants and mice had a feild day with that. Even stored indoors, the ants get to it. (it seems every house out here is built on top of an anthill...) I've looked into human food storage containers that are airtight, but most of those are pretty small. Any ideas?

·
Registered
786 Posts
We keep ours in a metal garbage can. Mice can't get into it. Ants on the other might be able to. Actually I keep our bird food in a smaller metal garbage can and we did have ant problems, but none got in it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Get a food storage container from Petsmart, Petco or some other pet shop. Ours holds 20 lbs of kibble. Be sure its plastic and has a good seal. That should keep the food fresh and pests out.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I got an airtight (and bugtight) container from PetSmart. It's similar to the 2nd option that Eleanor posted but taller.

·
Registered
890 Posts
We use 20 Gal rubbermaid containers that you can but at WalMart or Target. We stack two together with the top one with the food and the bottom one with and extra supply still in the bag. We don't have a pest problem but Tucker can't get in it since it locks.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have one very similar to #3 in the links that Eleanor posted. Kind of a combo between #3 & #4. It's a little bigger than I needed but I just put the entire bag in it. It's got wheels on it so I can move it around the kitchen as needed. It cost around $20 and even here in Florida with our big tropical bugs Jersey's food stays safe.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Looks like you have had good advice. We keep the dry food and treats in large zip bags in our cupboard (our main dog food is cans). However we have trouble with mice in the attic and have loads of tough plastic boxes on wheels. The lids clip and the boxes are ant and mice proof. Also beagle proof! Ours are Italian made but I'm sure you can buy them in the USA. Here one buys them in large household stores or garden centres.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have a cheap idea for you, and it's air and ant tight! We went to the restaurant here, and asked for one of their icing or mayo containers. They are about 5 gallon buckets with a very tight lid.
They were kind enough to run it through the dish washer for us and then gave it to us, as in FREE. It holds a big 20 lb bag of dog food, the lid is tight, and nothing can penetrate it. Nothing, even a very hungry beagle~!

Cobis mom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts