Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I knew about the food recall the day it came out.

We mix his dry food with a tablespoon of wet to get him to eat it. We use Priority (b/c they support animal rescue foundation).

The day the site came out I went on and looked at all the UPC codes, threw out any that matched (even if the date didnt match) and threw away any flavor that matched (again, even if the date or size of can didnt matche.)

We had 2 cans left...one of which was Priority Lamb and rice mix (NOT a cut and gravy food)

2 nights ago I mixed in the Lamb and rice, yesterday Snoopy was at the day care, and they said he was fine.

Today, he has had multiple episodes of diarrhea in the house (he never does this) and a few outside. Had his last tablespoon of the food this am when I threw it out. He had a total of 4 tablespoons

Now Im freaked out. Maybe he got a virus at the day care...but still, how do we know?
So, I called menue foods and reported it and they are suppose to call me tomorrow.

He is totally acting normal, just diarrhea and vomited one time today.

I really hope he is ok.

Please dont use any of the canned/sealed foods until they figure this out. I thought we were safe, but you just cant take that chance.

I know that there is nothing the vet can do at this point, we just have to watch him and make sure he is ok.

Amanda

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Amanda, we hope you are wrong and that it is just a bug. Or did Snoopy eat anything outside? Ours eat all sorts of rubbish and particularly Susi often vomits.
Hope Snoopy is well again soon. :heart:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I hope its just a virus too or something snoopy ate outside!
I saw the recall as well-and I didnt quite catch it in time, but luckily none of my beags fell ill and none ofthe UPC's matched.
My little Maggie (well, she is not so little anymore!) tends to get into things outside too, or hold her poo a few days once in a while and then has diarrhea for a few days, depending on if "she" is too busy to poo (just like a little kid!HA)
Keep us updated. Perhaps holding off food for 12 hours and just doing water will help clean out the system and keep from vomiting or diarrhea anymore until tummy is settled
Judi and the gang

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
well I never thought that I would say this but I sure hope that Snoopy just picked up something at daycare. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

sending out beagly prayers that this passes without further incident.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Any product that fails us in such a manner is,"Banned for life"! (Even if it means that I have to make my own dawg grub for the rest of my life)!!! (Our furkids are worth the extra effort)! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Manda,

Keeping Snoops in my prayers. I know he's in good hands with his MD-mama keeping an eye on him though.

(For what it's worth, Cal went out every 45 minutes beginning at 1:30 this morning with diahrrea and vomiting. However, since I make their dogfood, I know it wasn't the recall food. He's had a sensitive tummy ever since I've had him.......so we're on doggy-watch today too. Kinda makes Saturday an at-home thing today.)

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
540 Posts
We also give Cecil and Brandy a big tablespoon of Purina Pro Plan Weight Management Turkey & Vegetables each evening either with their remaining Bil-Jak reduced fat kibble or with two tablespoons of white rice in the evening. This one is not on the list, thank goodness. Our girls get diarrah either when they eat something in the grass like rabbit pellets or certain treats on a given day. We also have had the mucus poop with it which is bacterial and means they ate something in the yard. I just know in my heart that Snoopy will be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I hope it will turn out to be nothing. It is such a worry though. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Are diarrhea and vomiting symptoms of problems from the bad food? I thought it was lethargy and not eating, or excessive thirst, or something. I think I better re-read the symptoms again! Anyway, I hope Snoopy feels better soon and has just picked up some little bug.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I share everyone's hope that Snoopy just has a "bug" or ate something yucky outside. Sounds like it is time for the 24 hour water only and then plain white boiled rice for a day, then with boiled chicken added and/or chicken broth. Fingers and toes crossed for a healthy Snoopy real soon!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I too hope Snoopy just picked up something from daycare or from eating disgusting things off the ground somewhere - it sounds really weird to say that but in these circumstances is so true. Keep us posted - we're sending good thoughts to Snoopy.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I think all dog owners are a bit edgy these days especially if their pups are just a little bit "off".

Please keep us up on how Snoops is doing.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Snoopy had another diarrhea episode this am, but worse, all water, and didnt want to eat.

After spending over 3 hours at the vet, we found that it wasnt the food, but that he has Giardia and Camplobacter, both of which he probably picked up at the doggie day care....Im actually relieved!!!

Now for the next problem...he was suppose to go to day care for the next 2 days b/c we have to work and leave him alone for 12 hours...but we cant take him back to day care b/c he is contageous and I dont want to leave him at home for him to poop all over the place......ahhh

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Poor Snoopy! But at least you know what's causing his tummy upset, and that it's not from bad food!! Do you have a crate? Can you crate him for the next couple of days while you're gone? I know it's not the ideal arrangement, but it beats finding surprises of poop all over the house!!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
The latest I have read about this is that rat-poison is the problem with the "tainted food" :thumbup: Grandpaw Goober & his younger "boys" have been feasting on chicken, hotdog & venison trimmings rather than canned food for most of their lives! (& the occasional elk & it's bones along with deer bones)! (But no deer rib bones, as they can be as dangerous as pig bones)! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Poor little guy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif well not too much fun for Snoopy but at least you can fix it. Do you have a smaller room that you could keep him in while you work? at least you can cover the floors with sheets or something and you won't have to worry about the whole apartment being pooped on.....just a thought

Feel better soon Snoopy !!!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Looks like you and Snoopy are in for a tough couple of days BUT it beats the alternative.

Good idea from Sammys MOM, maybe made comfy in a bathroom where it can be cleaned easily?

I know that Snoops is like Henry, a nervous sort, so remove anything likely to scare him or get him into trouble...toilet paper, toilet brush, shower curtain...I know you know what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie had giardia when I got her as a baby. We did two courses of medication and her symptoms improved but testing showed that she still had the parasite. My vet decided to give her the giardia vaccine and she finally tested negative. Be extra careful about hand washing and disinfecting. Someone at work told me their child had contracted giardia from an infected cat. Is your day care looking for the source so you can take Snoopy back without worring about reinfection. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts