Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been using Royal Canin dog food. I was wondering does anyone else use it and has it been good for your dog so far. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Always a popular topic. After several different brands we've settle on the Kirkland brand you can get at Costco. It offers the best bang for your buck.
And it scores well on the dog food analysis test. We also use Kirkland Signature Lamb and Rice for our four and they all have beautiful, healthy coats, have few digestive issues, no allergies to the ingredients, and with the exception of one tubby girl the rest are all good healthy weights.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have fed Royal Canin in the past, but now have two of my dogs on a raw diet and I couldn't be happier with the results.

One of my dogs and the cat are still on a combination of raw and dried (for allergy reasons) and while I think RC was good, there are IMO better foods out there. I have recently changed them over to Artemis, so far so good
I am much happier with the Artemis ingredients than I was with RC - but in the end the best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
thats a great brand! Personally i lean towards blue buffalo. There's a sticky'd thread at the top of the health board that has several links to dog food sites, one of which analyzes them all, you can take a look at that and cross examine. From what i've gathered from threads around here the most popular amongst members here tend to be:

Innova
Blue Buff
Kirkland
Merricks
The raw diet (BARF)

thats what i can remember being most talked about.

If you have questions about a particular brand i'm sure someone on here has used it and knows something about it

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy gets Blue Wilderness (high protein formula made by Blue Buffalo)and Max get Blue Buffalo Chicken formula for puppies. I will change him to Blue Wilderness when he's old enough. They both LOVE it. Daisy was on Innova Evo, but the price around here absolutely skyrocketed. It went from $58 for the large bag to over $80. I haven't checked lately to see if it has dropped but since they love the Blue food so well and it's just as healthy, I don't see a reason to change back plus I can get Blue at PetSmart but I have to go to a specialty store farther away to get the Innova.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey too is an Innova girl. I've been using it for years. My last dog ate it and I've had Jersey on it since she was a puppy. Oh, and it's not really all that expensive. It's about $25 for a 15 lb. bag and we go through a bag every 5 weeks (give or take). That's about $5/week for her food. I wish I could eat that cheap!

·
Registered
889 Posts
We tried both Rocky and Daisy on Blue Buffalo and although they ate it with no problem, they both seemed to have tummy issues.

Rocky is now on Innova and still occasionally has tummy issues but I'm starting to think that I need to add some pumpkin to his diet. Other than that he seems to be doing just fine on it. And it's also between $25-$28 for a 15/16 lb bag.

Daisy is on a prescription bland diet (Prescription I/d) for her tummy issues.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Josie was on Blue Buffalo mixed with a little Solid Gold wet and was fine. When Charlie came, we slowly switched him over but he never did well on it. We went through a few brands and he always had issues. Now both are on Canidae and doing well. Their coats are softer and shinier and their weights are good. Plus, it is not too expensive. They get dry Chicken and Rice with about a teaspoon-tablespoon of wet mixed in.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We had Ben on the Kirkland Lamb and Rice for the first 1.5 years. he was never that taken with it and he always had runny poops.

He is now on a raw diet and it is great for him.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Blue Buffalo is our brand. All three love it and are doing well on it. Their coats are super shiny and even Roscoe who has had tummy issues in the past has taken well to it. We recently took him off the prescription (I/D) and put him on BB, he is doing great!

·
Registered
147 Posts
A quick look on dog food analysis.com shows most of their products with only 2 stars. The first ingredient in the product listing is a grain - where it should be a meat/protein.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions for other foods, I'll also add that our guy is on Wellness Super 5 chicken after a switch from Avoderm. He eats less of this - and poops less too. When picking a food, I wanted something available at my local pet store, that was affordable. While you may look at a bag and say it's more than another, it's important to check the recommended feeding portions. Foods with lots of fillers will require you to feed more and then it's not really less expensive.

His coat is unbelievably soft and shiny and he sheds very little.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not wanting to veer off topic too much but I was wondering when some of you switch you Beagles over to the senior food?

Oreo is 6-7yrs old and I feed him Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice for Seniors. He's a pretty healthy pup and loves his food but is this too early in his lifespan for Senior kibble? Should I perhaps go to the adult version?

·
Registered
205 Posts
We've been feeding JoJo a mixture of Nutro and Beneful. She won't eat Nutro on it's own, so we've been mixing them together. (yes, I know, Beneful isn't highly ranked)

After reading through the nutrional websites a few weeks back, we bought a bag of Innova EVO. I've been trying to add it to her diet slowly, by mixing it in with the other dry foods, and adding a little to her wet food (which we typically do at dinner).

When you make this gradual switch over to such a high protein food, is it typical for them to have issues?
We just started again, trying to get her switched over and I noticed yesterday that her stomach is making such loud gurggling noises (can't tell if it's her processing what's in it, or if it's growling). And she's been sleeping more...almost like she's just trying to rest it out.
She's also had some runnier than normal poops -- this is the main reason we're trying to get her on a healthier food; she has always had really soft poops. Now, it seems that they're runnier, but I thought maybe she was just adjusting???

sorry so long winded!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: A Jolly BengaliNot wanting to veer off topic too much but I was wondering when some of you switch you Beagles over to the senior food?

Oreo is 6-7yrs old and I feed him Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice for Seniors. He's a pretty healthy pup and loves his food but is this too early in his lifespan for Senior kibble? Should I perhaps go to the adult version?
he's 44-49 in ppl years

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So with all that said. What would be the best food I can by from Petsmart? I am looking into places to buy some of the foods that you guys spoke about, but not all of them are within a reasonable distance from my home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts