Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone! I haven't been on here in a few months. Rory is doing well. Although I have noticed that if I have food, or I have given Rory a treat he gets agressive whining and growling even lunging at either of our other dogs if they come either close to me or Rory. If I go to take Rory's food away he is fine, but if either of the others comes close its war. This tends to scare me since both of our other dogs are quite a bit bigger being an elkhound and a mastiff. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly is starting to get food obsessed and a bit snippy sometimes. We are making her lay down before she eats a meal and wait, and she sits before every treat. I also try to give Andy, my greyhound, his treat before Molly gets anything. Of course always correct Rory if he gets snarky with the other dogs. Try to figure who the alpha is in your group too. Andy is the alpha here and he is always fed first, gets treats first etc.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker has the same problem. Usually it is certain foods that set him off more than others. We stay away from treats and situations that set him off. For example, the girls go out to potty before breakfast since the doggie door is next to Tuckers Bowl. Rawhides are a no no since he gets possesive of them. No body gets scaps of human food or allowed to patrol the kitchen when we are cooking. The girls are also learning what sets him off and they avoid those situations too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I agree Rory waits for his food, and all of the dogs are fed in separate areas.....but this is more of when i have food and charlie or skyler comes near me.....he doesn't get a lot of people food so I can not figure out why he is so aggressive and all of the sudden he was fine before. I appreciate the theories and advice.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What sort of training do you do with him?

I would be incorporating NILIF into your house very strictly with him.

He needs to understand that food is a resource that YOU control, one that comes from you and one that he must look to you for permission to have.

I'd have a read of this article;

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

And I'd also incorporate this training program with him right away;

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=64101

1 - 5 of 5 Posts