Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am having a little trouble with my 3 year old basset hound cross. My room-mate got a puppy not too long ago. He is about 10-11 weeks old now. But my basset hound is still not warming up to him. And he is not warming up to my other basset either.

I have 4 dogs in total, and out of the 4, 3 of them share thier food with one another. There is no food aggression between them at all. They do the food bowl swap and everything. But when the puppy and my other basset hound come into the picture, Jabroni has food aggression towards them. He does not want to share with the newcomers.

Any tips on working on this issue before it escalates to a big problem?

My goal is to free feed them like I used to with no food aggression between any of the dogs.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would never feed my dogs together, and I wouldn't let them share their bowls either. There are a few reasons for this, but largely that I like to know how much each dog has eaten exactly, and by allowing them to share I can't control their portions as easily. The second biggest reason is that feeding them all together and letting them share is often a recipe for disaster.

Resource guarding is very normal and it can be quite stressful for a dog to have another dog muscling in on it's food (and quite unfair too!).

I would either feed them all separately, or feed the three that get along together and let the other two eat in peace

·
Registered
103 Posts
I stand watch as our two eat. Charlie will 9 time out of 10 give dominance to Josie ... except when it comes to food or treats. She never gets angry ... she just lets him take over. If I don't watch, he will gobble his food down and move right over to her bowl. She eats slow and when he comes, she'll just walk away and chew on a bone or something. Been like that since charlie came home.

Cookies, charlie tries to get all of them and snapped at Josie ONCE when she tried to eat one. Once he snapped, I grabbed the cookie from him and put him in another room. Hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snoopy and Jabroni started doing this since the first 30 min of bringing home Snoopy. They play musical bowls with each other. Jabroni or Snoopy have never shown any frustration. I am quite good at reading my dogs body language as well as reading their stares between eachother. The same thing with Squeeker, within the first hour or so, they were all playing and eating together.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: IvyHoustonSnoopy and Jabroni started doing this since the first 30 min of bringing home Snoopy. They play musical bowls with each other. Jabroni or Snoopy have never shown any frustration. I am quite good at reading my dogs body language as well as reading their stares between eachother. The same thing with Squeeker, within the first hour or so, they were all playing and eating together.
But Jabroni is showing food aggression (resource guarding) so he must be either frustrated or intimidated by the other dogs trying to eat his food. Why else would he be displaying any aggression? Like I said resource guarding is very common and if the dog doesn't like others near his food, perhaps the safest option is just to let him eat in peace, separated from the other dogs

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My dogs eat at the same time, but they have separate areas for eating, and each has a bowl. When they're finished, the bowls are picked up until the next meal. If they ate in the same area, there would probably be some serious tiffs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.