Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so now is time to treat for fleas, ticks etc, in my part of the country. it is warming up.
i like the front line or advantix, as they report stopping everything, but they are expensive, however, i noticed that the size for the big dogs, is only a couple bucks more than the small dogs (like mine)
so what would be wrong with buying the big dog size, and spreading it proportionately among my three.
(champ is 33# bonnie is 27# and clyde is 24#)
so i get the size for 85-120 and split it up.
anyone ever try it?
C.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I don't know if it would work quite like that. We get Sentinel yellow which covers 25-50 lb. dogs. I think the best way to approach it would be to find out the milligrams of all the different weight categories. If the ingredients in each weight category is increased 100% then that would make sense. So in theory the 85-120 lb. would be 300% greater than the one for 25-50 lb.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Are you purchasing it from a vet?

Our vet will price match on line prices whenever possible. All we do is find the lowest price, print out the webpage and bring it in. He charges us just the cost of the product, but of course we still have to pay sales tax. However it's usually a lot cheaper than retail prices. I understand his supplier will credit him accordingly so he doesn't lose money.

It's worth asking about.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I also use Sentinel and I prefer it over topical flea control methods because I don't like the residue that it leaves. Depending on the size of your dog, it's roughly $8-13. I wouldn't suggest splitting a larger pill without consulting a vet (although, it would be against their financial interest to approve of this method). With multiple dogs, I totally understand why you want to find the most economic means of keeping the pooches itch free. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
I'm not sure but i think that its the same fluid amount, just that the chemicals in it are more concentrated for the larger dogs. So i dont think that would work out but maybe ......i think i just confused myself lol Well you can as said above check prices online, petco and petsmart's vet offices, as well as shelters/rescues all sell flea and tick medicine much cheaper then most vets. Usually they'll have prices listed on their sites. It can get expensive but I'd freak if i ever found a tick >.< gross little buggers.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't know about trying that. Things aren't always as simple as they seem. For instance, when we were decreasing Spook's phenobarbitol dosage, it wasn't a matter of simply cutting pills in half. There was actually a mathematical calculation involved that had to be followed. So, I'd be leery of trying to split the tube.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, thats a lot less than i am paying.thanks!!
c.

·
Registered
17 Posts
check ebay
there are plenty of sellers that sell the large dog pill with syringe and the correct amount for different weight size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
petsupplyexpress.com is really cheap. I thought I found good deals on 800petmeds.com and drugstore.com, but you beat me. Thanks!

I've thought about buying Advantix off of ebay but I'm not experienced enough to try...yet. Don't want to overdose Ginger by mistake.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I get mine from my local humane society. I think it was about $50 for a six month supply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts