Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have always used the ones you get from a health food store or from walmart. I can't remember the exact name but it is Nature's something. It has no chemicals just spices like clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, eucalyptus and some others, but I have never dealt with more than a little flea problem and it has always worked fine for my dogs.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We use Frontline as in Bavaria there are loads of ticks, but it kills fleas as well. We try not to use it too often,

·
Registered
786 Posts
Since your probably in the Black part of the country, if you look at a lyme disease map, you might want to go with Frontline. I have used it and have not found any deer ticks on the girls. I have found the big fat brown ticks, but none that were latched on.

You can call your vet and see what they would recomend...

I also order my Frontline from Petshed.com out of Australia and it half the cost of here in the United States...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have a friend in Israel that just puts a small cup (like for a child's syrup) of apple vinegar (or any other vinegar for that matter) in the drinking water. She has 6 dogs, all with long-ish coats (Westies) that are constantly playing outside and going for walks in the forest, and not one flea of tick on them.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I would call your vet and ask what brand they recomend for your area then.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyI have a friend in Israel that just puts a small cup (like for a child's syrup) of apple vinegar (or any other vinegar for that matter) in the drinking water. She has 6 dogs, all with long-ish coats (Westies) that are constantly playing outside and going for walks in the forest, and not one flea of tick on them.
and apparently there is an interesting article about it:
http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html

I will definitely add a little in Chloe's water daily.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Interesting article! I'm going to pick some up and try it for Daisy and Rocky's runny eyes. And also for Daisy's liquid sounding cough.

Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I use Comfortus, kills fleas and ticks within 30 minutes. Blows Frontline and Advantage away! Around same price as advantage.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We use Advantix. Our vet sells both Frontline and Advantix but recommends the Advantix because it repels. We also get the lyme vaccine for the dogs since we live in the mountains, in the woods, with a large deer population.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have Shiloh on Frontline. I had been using Hartz Gold from the grocery store because I couldn't afford both heartworm and flea meds. I read an article (I would post link but I can't figure it out?) yesterday about some flea/tick products being recalled and Hartz Gold and Silver were on the list!
They are all the One-Spot treatments.

It was in our local newspaper in Greensboro, NC. I'll try to post it.

Sorry, it was AOL. www.pawnation.com - they have some Fronline, Hartz, Promerus and several others. Very scary.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use a spot treatment called Revolution that my vet reccommended. Its new to the market. Its kinda a odd treatment, It dosent repel, but it kills the eggs and what not as well as heart worm and fleas. I think it kills the tick thats on him, tho it dosent help prevent them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with contacting your vet. I use Advantix and it works really well. It prevents fleas, mosquitoes, ticks and biting flies. I've heard horror stories of people using the off brands at Walmart and Target. My vet warned me against them...something about he has seen several dogs have seizures after using them.

I must admit that I have used those before and they did not make my dogs sick, but they did not work at all. My girls were covered with fleas. I try to save money where I can, but I've decided that it's best to splurge when it comes to flea and tick treatments and buy the more expensive ones. They just work better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Totti is on Frontline. I tried once with Advantix because our vet said it's better than Frontline, but he got an allergic reaction to it...

I've been thinking for a while of using Skudo. Has anybody tried it? Experiences?! Or CatanDog's maybe?!

·
Registered
890 Posts
We tried a flea collar with our first beagle Cleo. It was on mabey 1 day because it made her sick. We then used Advantage. That was fine in Vancouver, WA because fleas were the problem and ticks not so much. (at least if you kept out of the mountains). Now we are in Utah the vet says fleas are not as common because it is so dry, but ticks are a problem. So we had to switch. That's my wifes department so I am not sure what we use now. I guess my point is to ask your vet what works best in your area. And don't use the cheap stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts