Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having this problem? I was using Advantage (BTW was the best stuff ever!) & last summer it started loosing it's power. I switched to Frontline (which didn't work well in the past) & it worked for a little while. Now I am thinking of switching to Revolution. I am losing control! After a week I am seeing fleas on Emma. I have looked online & did find some people having the same trouble with Frontline, but not Advantage.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farmlife/msg0620174910664.html?64

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I've used Frontline Plus for years, and never had a problem, till this summer. Poe the cat had a few fleas, and I pulled a huge tick off Shiloh. My daughter, who also used F.L. Plus, had a really severe tick infestation on her indoor/outdoor cat (who is now just indoor!) I wonder if these pesky pests are becoming immune to the flea and tick meds?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've used Frontline plus for years and have never had a problem.
I'm wondering if his crazy weather has anything to do with it. It has been damper than usual in New England these past few years? I'm not sure how Florida has been. I just happened to pull a dog tick off one of the girls just the other day, but I was thinking this medicine gets absorbed through the skin into the blood stream. So the tick actually has to bite the dog to die?

If anyone knows more about this vicious cycle please let me know?

I also have been purchasing my Frontline from Australia?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I used Frontline Plus for the first 7 years of Sammy's life and then all of a sudden it stopped working. I asked the vet about it and he told me that there are apparently different strains of fleas (he compared them to mutating viruses). They change their form to become resistant to the medication. I switched her to Advantage at that time and so far it has been working.

I have heard the K-9 Advantix is also good for fleas and ticks. I guess I will go to that one when Advantage stops working.....

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by pfr:
but I was thinking this medicine gets absorbed through the skin into the blood stream. So the tick actually has to bite the dog to die?
If anyone knows more about this vicious cycle please let me know?
Yes, as I understand it that's exactly what happens. The bloated tick that I pulled off Shiloh this summer was dead. When my daughter's cat got so infested with them, she called the vet to ask if she could bring him in to have them removed. The vet tech she talked to told her that since Magic had a fresh application of Frontline the ticks would eventually die on their own and fall off. Not being thrilled with the idea of dead ticks lying around her apartment, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif she called me, her old country girl mama, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif and I came over with my trusty pointy tweezers and pulled them off. They were all dead too.
I'm sure you're right about our wet spring and summer had a lot to do with the over-abundance of fleas and ticks. But I don't know if they formulate Frontline differently for different parts of the world. Maybe you could write the company and ask.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the posters on the board I posted above said this...

"I took my rescue female Border Collie to the Vet for intestinal tract infection... and during conversation, he stated that various states have reported occasional complete resistance by flea populations to Frontline. Builders have begun to use Fipronil as a general pest control as part of soil treatment before building! Probable cause of resistance."

It makes sence to me(& we have had a ton of new construction around here).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts