Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I curious to people's take on the flea & heart-worm drops on the market. I know there are several brands. But it's hard to tell by just reading their website to which ones are good. Obviously we'd like to find one that is both effective and reasonably priced.

Thanks,
Brien

P.S. Also, if you buy them online, which sites are reliable with good prices.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I can't help with that Brien. We don't have either problem here. Now when I lived in Sacramento, it was an entirely different story - my poor keeshond was highly allergic to fleas and I battled them constantly. Once a month my dogs went to the groomer for flea dips, while they were out of the house, I flea bombed the house, and sprayed the yard with yard and kennel spray. The heartworm pills they had then were terrible. Tiny white DAILY pills, that she would spit out no matter how we disguised them. We moved here in 1993, the dogs spent the day at the groomers being dipped (they didn't have all these wonderful products then) while we were loading the truck. We were so pleasantly surprised when we discovered that we don't have flea problems here - nor heartworms.
I would ask my vet which products he recommends. I wish I could help you with that.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Being in Florida we need BOTH. For heartworm prevention we use Tri-Heart and have also used HeartGard. For flea prevention we've used Adams that you used to be able to buy at Walmart. But I prefer Advantix because it handles fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. I believe you can get the Advantix through the vet, but Frontline also works. We used Sentinel one month but stopped because it doesn't do anything for ticks. I would just talk to your vet, they can help you pick out what's best. As far as ordering online, I haven't ever done that so I can't give any advice there.

Hope that helps!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've used Sentinel (pill for heartworms, other worms and fleas) for years now. I live in Florida and have never had a flea problem using it. I used it with my last dog as well and never had a problem. I like it because it's a pill and I don't have to worry about touching Jersey or her licking at herself until after the product dries. I remember hearing one time that when you order flea control stuff online the company doesn't offer the same guarantee as it would if you bought it from the vets office. I don't remember where I heard that but you can check with your vet to see if I'm totally off there.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We use Sentinel too - other than it being rather expensive it certainly seems to be fine... and we really would prefer to keep the fleas away since we all sleep together!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We used to use Frontline and Hartgard. I got them from Petcarechoice.com and they had great deals. Last vet appt., we switched to Sentinel and have had success with it, as well. Though the Sentinel is more expensive than using the other 2 together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts