Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, My name is Cindi and I just adopted 6 month old Bailey. He's adorable, smart, sweet and from what I have read in this forum..your typical beagle puppy!

Bailey was taken to animal control after the pet store he lived in for 5 months went bankrupt. He had never even been outside - poor baby probably lived most of those 5 months in a crate. He's adjusting well and we are working on housebreaking him. I suppose for being with us for 6 weeks..he's doing well so far. He does beautifully in his crate and when we are home, we take him out regularly and he has pretty much learned to go everytime I say, go potty, Bailey! BUT...like most puppies, we come right back inside and in 10 minutes I find a puddle in the dining room.

My question is - what is the best product for me to use on the carpet to get rid of the smell so that he won't keep going in there?? And how long will it take before he can get the hang of NOT going inside?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give this newbie to the forum..and to beagle ownership!

I'll post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to do it!

Cindi

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hi Cindy,
Welcome to you and Bailey. I like Nature's Miracle for the carpet. I used it when my senior cat was in her last months with cancer and sometimes couldn't make it to her litter box in time. If it works on cat urine, it will work on anything. Petco makes their own version of Nature's Miracle that is about $5.00 less. Our Petco is having big sale next week. If you have one in your area, you might check there.
I got my beagle, Maggie when she was 8 weeks and she was mostly trained at 5 months (just an occasional accident) and fully trained a few months later. It takes time but it will happen even though sometimes it seems like forever.
Looking forward to hearing more about your pup.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome Cindi and Bailey

I don't know cleaning products all that well, and I thank god that Chle only had 2-3 accidents on the rugs in my apartment, but I've heard that vinegar and water (1:1) is very good on getting rid of the smell, and later you can use any other product you have for the carpet to get make it smell nicer.... just an idea.

When you come back home from a walk, try having him confined to the same place in the house so that you can keep an eye on him and stop him as he's squating for pee, you can then say a sharp NO and take him right back outside... that way he will learn.

Good luck with Bailey, I'm waiting for those pictures....

·
Registered
865 Posts
to BW!!

What a wonderful Beagle Angel you are! Poor Bailey, what a tough life she has had until now! It is always nice to hear a beagle rescued from that sort of life.

I am working on house training myself with Lucky who came to me in April. It is definitely frustrating! I can empathize. I keep reminding myself patience, patience...

You will love it here at BW and we look forward to hearing more about you and Bailey!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome Cindy and Bailey. Bailey just needs time and patience. I know it's hard, but just stay consitent and patient and Bailey will eventually come along. Bring treats outside with you when you take him to potty. When he goes, give him a treat immediately and tell him good potty (or whatever phrase you use). He'll learn quickly that potty outside and treats go together. As for clean up, I used Nature's Miracle and Simple Solution. They are both enzyme based and actually break down the urine to get rid of the smell, even to a Beagle's nose. I bought it by the gallon when Jersey was a puppy.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Congrats on your first beagle!! And thank you for giving Bailey a good home.

First thing to remember is that all Bailey knows is how to go potty inside. In fact, he probably thinks he is making you happy by coming in and peeing! (I am dealing with that issue with Molly, who came to me from a shelter).

Try to keep Bailey confined to small areas or on a lead by your side. Watch for signs of potty like excessive sniffing, pacing or circling - and get him back outside. If he does pee inside, bring the item he pee'd on, or the pee soaked towel to the area you want him to pee in.

Clean up is very important - Nature's Miracle works the best. You can use that and white vinegar for washing any soiled bedding.

Hope things work out soon, it can be frustrating, as I know from experience, but beagles are so worth it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome and the advice for helping Bailey along with his housetraining. I am going out to get Nature's Miracle tomorrow! I tried a few times to post a pic, but apparently it was too large. I'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Chloe's Mommy - I was shocked that he was in that store for 5 months, too. He's so sweet and affectionate.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World! I agree that Bailey's gorgeous, and it's impossible to believe that he was at the pet store for so long.
I know he's happy that you came to his rescue.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A big welcome to beagle world. Thank goodness you saved Bailey. She is beautiful and looks at home now. I bet she will soon be house-trained.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World and a big ole welcome arrroooo to Bailey. Bless you for giving him a forever home. I bet he is really appreciating the walks and the attention. I love stories with happy endings and after a rough first few months, sounds like Bailey is one of those stories. Bless ya Cindi

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! Bailey is just adorable and I bet he is just thrilled to be out of his jail cell. Looking forward to seeing lots more pics and hearing all about your adventures with Bailey!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts