Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am the happy owner of Benny the beagle, he is a copper nose and so full of energy! He is always excited to see me come home from work and he is a wonderful companion. Any advice for making him to stop using me for a chew toy?

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Puppies go through a biting/nipping stage which will pass after a few months...BUT you have to work on curbing that behavior. Its not aggression... my dog is now 7.8yrs old and I have posted lots on various topics such as this.. go to Search on this forum and put in key words to find past advice posts. Read all you can on puppyhood.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Welcome! He is very cute! I always did like a uuhaaaa noise when my dogs tried to bite me. Lots of good info on here you can search puppy topics.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Benny is adorable! Xerxes is the same, us coming home is so great he thinks. Dogs are the best

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, there are two common reasons for chewing: puppy chewing and anxiety.
For puppy chewing
Between approximately 4 months to 7 months of age, puppies start to break in their new adult teeth. Just like with babies, there is a certain discomfort associated with these new teeth coming in. This is the stage when puppy chewing is in full force.
Your pup may bite you unconsciously because he still didn't understand biting your hands or other objects is prohibited. The ways to get rid of this situation is to
1. Separate and supervise (Protect any children you may have, or that visit and play with your puppy by separating them all the time )
2. Stop making things worse (Keep your puppy calm and stop giving your puppy rewards for biting)
3. Teach your puppy not to hurt you (1. Ignore his biting and leave the place without eye contact 2. Use treats or hold a rawhide chew with one hand. Once he is calmly involved in eating or chewing, you’ll be able to pet him without being nipped)
4. Train your puppy not to bite by positive reinforcement. The best way to do this is with a clicker and some dog treats. But you can also use a word like YES instead of the click.
Chewing toys like Kong is a good option.
For (separation) anxiety
This is normal for many puppies when they go to a new home. At first, I confuse it with the "puppy chewing" I mentioned, until I found that my pup has other signs, such as barking and crying. It's better to exclude this reason and reduce his anxiety as soon as possible. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts