Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I didn't mention to you all that I got Charlie a trainer. He came this evening to our house at 7:00pm till 10:00pm, exhausted, so is Charlie. All went well, the most important thing is I am the one needed to be trained the most. I have to change all my attitude towards him, that is why he is so dominant. I'm not consistent, and he must be confused. He is definitely dominating me.
First thing the trainer said when he saw Charlie, oh yes, he is a dominant. He rules the house and ME! And that needs to be changed. The hard thing is I'm having a hard time watching him being trained. All the time he is crying, refused to bulge a bit even to the command "down" which he knows so well, he wouldn't do it, and when the trainer pulled him down, he just let out a squeaking beagly loud cry that shriek your ears as if he is hurting but he is not. And several time he snapped at the trainer. That kind of behavior is bad. All the time he was looking at me to rescue him. Stubborn is the word. Well, I keep you folks posted as it goes. I'm tired already. I'm glad my daughter is also into this.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think you are doing the right thing.... getting a trainer is very important to show us how to deal with our dominant dogs, Charlie needs to accept the fact you and your family are his pack leaders.

Mine back home (Weimaraner/Irish setter mix) is very dominant. He was trained for about 6 months when he was a puppy, and did a lot better after that. He is 11.5 now, and still whenever we come across the trainer on the street he immediately changes his whole demeanor to submissive.
Around the house he is a lot easier also. Always has been an obedient dog, but much less ruling the house since.

I was so relieved when I got Chloe, to learn she was so submissive....

Good luck, hang in there - it's worth it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Good for you! I know it's hard to watch them with the trainer but when he finally knows who the leader is you'll be so happy. NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) worked for Caesars dominance issues too. I was the problem too, he didn't respect me. Stick to your training, and remember, he won't change over night. Good Luck! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm happy that you have found a trainer for Charlie but I'm kinda confused about why it's so hard to watch him being trained.

Training your dog whether it's you doing it or another person should be a fun and pleasurable experience for all concerned not something that's hard to watch and makes your dog cry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Sorry I know this is not what you want to hear and I always seem to be saying the opposite of everyone else here these days :freak:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trainer has a harsher tone than me. He had Charlie tied on 2 leashes, one tied to the table leg and one he was holding on to control. It was a very simple command, "Down", Charlie won't do it, the trainer step on the leash he was holding and pulled him down, he also said never to bend over to give any command, the dog will only think you are begging him to do it. It actually would not hurt him at all, he gets lots of praises if he lay down. Charlie was so so stubborn, he wouldn't bulge a bit. He would cry and snap at the trainer. That I do not want to watch, it breaks my heart, I'm a softy.
But you know, today, he really behaves a lot better, when he jump up at me or the dining table, I gave him the "off" command, he immediately step off the table. The "stay" command as well, he listens more tentively and looked up to me to I guess confirming.
This is all new to me. I hope I and do it.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:
I'm happy that you have found a trainer for Charlie but I'm kinda confused about why it's so hard to watch him being trained.

Training your dog whether it's you doing it or another person should be a fun and pleasurable experience for all concerned not something that's hard to watch and makes your dog cry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Sorry I know this is not what you want to hear and I always seem to be saying the opposite of everyone else here these days :freak:
Jennifer, you shouldn't be sorry, in fact, I gave it some thoughts. You are right, Charlie and I should be enjoying it. So I went down to Petsmart store and talked to the trainer over there. He was very upset that some trainer is even using that prone prickly collar. He was even upset the fact that I was holding the collar. He asked me"what are you going to do with this?!" He said my dog should not have cried or terrified of training. He said go fire him!
Thanks for your insight that prompt me to it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It does sound a bit rough to me...surely there is more "fun" ways of teaching a beagle down...ie FOOOOOODDDDD rewards etc...was it just to teach him the "lie down" type command or down as in "don't jump up" ? Everyone else that does the lying down command just puts a treat in front of their nose and pulls it down between their legs so they have to lie down to get it followed by the "down" command as soon as they do it. If it's the jumping up issue then you're just meant to turn you back and ignore them for 20 seconds and keep repeating that. Never heard of pulling them down to the ground. Doesn't sound like a very positive training method to me. But hey my beags not perfect by any means so I might be doing it all wrong LOL. We've just booked him in to obedience classes and if that's not enough we'll get someone to come to our home too....

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Thank you Charlie's mum for understanding what I was trying to convey.

There are so many different trainers out there with widely different methods and views on what's best.

My feelings have always been that if something you or a trainer is doing doesn't "feel" right and you aren't happy then DON'T do it because it probably isn't right for you or your dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts