Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle is 8 mons old and hasn't went into her first heat nor showing signs. Is this Normal?.
When should I expect her to go into heat. This is my first female beagle so I'm not too familiar with this.
Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just like with humans, it can vary. If she goes past 13-14 months, time to have vet check her. Be prepared for discharge, they have diapers you can use now to keep from soiling bedding and house (assuming she is a house dog). Make sure she is secure when she does come into heat, I'm sure every un-neutered male within miles will know. Naturally you wouldn't want to breed her on her first heat, if your intent is to breed.

@Cassie, many veterinarians are now advocating to wait until after the first heat to spay, it ensures growth hormones have contributed to successfully to growth. While dependent on breed, there are studies showing dogs (especially larger dogs) are at higher risk of orthopedic problems and certain cancers and that risk is statistically reduced if spay is held off until 12 months, after the first heat cycle. But I'm sure this is as controversial as diet (raw vs cooked, grain vs no grain etc).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just like with humans, it can vary. If she goes past 13-14 months, time to have vet check her. Be prepared for discharge, they have diapers you can use now to keep from soiling bedding and house (assuming she is a house dog). Make sure she is secure when she does come into heat, I'm sure every un-neutered male within miles will know. Naturally you wouldn't want to breed her on her first heat, if your intent is to breed.

@Cassie, many veterinarians are now advocating to wait until after the first heat to spay, it ensures growth hormones have contributed to successfully to growth. While dependent on breed, there are studies showing dogs (especially larger dogs) are at higher risk of orthopedic problems and certain cancers and that risk is statistically reduced if spay is held off until 12 months, after the first heat cycle. But I'm sure this is as controversial as diet (raw vs cooked, grain vs no grain etc).
Thank you so lunch.

Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts