Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take Molly to the dog park today for the first time. It was a huge success. There was an average of about three dogs other than herself which was just perfect. She just ran her little heart out playing with all the dogs. We got back home at about 11 after being at the dog park for about an hour and a half and she hasn't moved since (other than for lunch of course.) I am kicking myself because I forgot my camera.

Just a quick question. Although today went really well, I am anticipating a possible problem with the whole large dog/small dog side at the dog park. The posted weight limits is large dog 35lbs and over and small dog under 35lbs. Molly will never qualify for the big dog side with those limits, but when we got to the park today, I took a glance at the small dog side and at 11 lbs she would tower over the other dogs in the small dog side, so we went to the large dog side, and she was just fine. She also plays pretty rough so I didn't want to chance it with dogs her actual size. What side to you take your beagles to?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Glad that Molly had such a good time. Jersey always has a blast at the dog park. We vary back and forth between the two sides. We usually end up in the big dog side. The small dogs are just too small sometimes. I'm afraid that she's going to hurt one of the little ones.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I usually take Chloe to the big dog area, as she plays with them more than with the toy group dogs.

Next time, DONT forget your camera

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sure wish we had a dog park around here. Bailey just LOVES to play with other dogs. He has a buddy down the street, a golden retriever - that he just loves to play with. The little min pin and yorkie next door - he tolerates rather than plays with them.

There is a new doggie day care place on my way to work. I'm going to check out their rates on Monday. Maybe he can go once or twice a week.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Beagles are “bigger” than they look. Our two have always gotten along better with larger dogs. Sadie’s best buddy, before we got Sparky, was the neighbor’s Border Collie. Sade & Spark are also going to spend a few days with their two 90lb, Labrador cousins, when we go away in a couple weeks.
At the dog park, they aren’t very tolerant of anything that’s smaller than themselves…
“I am a hunting dog! Get out of my face, you fuzzy little rat!”
Of course a big, mean dog can do more harm than a fuzzy little rat with a little-dog complex. So always keep an eye on things.

We’re looking forward to fall dog park days here. Southwest Florida is too hot and buggy to be romping through the woods, this time of year.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I always take Lucky to the big dog side. He seems to be afraid of the smaller dogs. He plays rough sometimes so he definitely needs to be with the large dogs.
Plus, he is used to playing with my brother's full grown lab and chow chow/husky mix dogs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Same here...Java belongs in the big dog side even though he's only 21 lbs (albeit, 21 lbs of pure beagle frenzy). I fear that he may be too rough with the smaller dogs, but will play great with the larger ones. Plus, big dog areas are usually much larger and provides more room for them to sniff and chase

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Our gang also does better with the big dogs - beagles may not be big dogs on the outside but they definitely are big dogs on the inside! The smaller dogs tend to be too delicate and often too yappy for the hounds...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I took Oreo to the dog park for the first time last weekend and he had a blast too.

There is no small dog/big dog divide in ours - it's all one big space. There were large dogs and small dogs and they all seemed to get along. Even a little puggle puppy that ran around and even went on a yapping storm at one of the large dogs, then rolled over. No recriminations from the big dog. In fact, the only scaredy was a big lab/shepherd mix who kept to himself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts