Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
For regular ants I have poured boiling water in there hole and that worked well, I'm sure it would work the same for fire ants.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Short of a nuclear bomb, I'm not sure there's anything to get rid of the lovely Florida Fire Ant. We've poured boiling water in the mound, but they usually just pop up somewhere else in the yard. We've also done boiling vinegar. Kills the grass but helped control the population a little better than just water.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Every year about March, we put Ortho Max Bug-B-Gone on our yard. We do it to prevent fleas and ticks, but have discovered it really helps with fire ants, too. You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot, and lots of other places I'm sure. It doesn't have any ill effects on the dogs and cat.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Anything boiling with kill the grass and as Jen said, they just pop up somewhere else. My pest contol dude puts down some stuff that kills em good. It is in granual form. I water it in an hour after he leaves and it won't bother the dogs. I will have to ask him what it is next time he is here.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The boiling water (with vinegar) did a great job!... At making them mad. (It was kinda fun, though.) I think they go down too deep in our sandy soil. Maybe if you kept doing it untill they give up... It's probably going to take a poison barrier to keep them from coming up, or a bait that they take down to the queen.
I'll look into the Bug-B-Gone, and if you find out anything, Joe...
Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry it didn't work for you.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Originally Posted By: KarebruThanks! I have heard of that, now that I think about it.
I'm gonna fire up the turkey fryer!
They don't stand a chance!!!
I don't have any suggests but this respond cracked me up!!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Originally Posted By: KarebruThe boiling water (with vinegar) did a great job!... At making them mad. (It was kinda fun, though.)
And this one was funny too...I can just imagine your face when that happened.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you don't mind chems that is the best way. I treat my yard twice a year with Ortho Max and don't have an ant or flea problem. Unfortunately, it does not work for yellow jackets which have returned this year with all the rain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts