Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I was at a point where I thought Fin was almost completely houstrained. He's able to hold his pee alot longer so the number of accidents and trips outside was way down. He also had been at a point where he hadn't pooped in the house for a couple months. In light of all of this progress I thought it was time to give him more freedom during the day while I'm at work and at night when I'm in bed. I was keeping him in the kitchen with his travel crate open inside an exercise pen. I decided to let him upgrade to just having his travel crate open in the kitchen with just a babygate at the kitchen entrance giving him access to the whole room. Well, ever since I gave him this freedom he now pees and poops in the corner of the kitchen almost every day and every night.

It's very frustrating. He knows he's wrong, because as soon as I see it his head goes down. He's still good when I'm awake. He rarely has accidents when I'm around, just when I'm at work or asleep. It's bugging me because I thoguht he was past this after the first month. Any suggestions? Do you think his new space is a reason? Should I go back to the pen? As always any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How old is Fin? Im assuming he is still really young? Max is a year and a half and I can honestly say he wasn't 100% trained until probably about 10 month or so. Although he was basically trained the 1st 2 monthes we had him He would do really really good then once in a while just have an accident out of no where (and he knew it was wrong hed do it then hide) I can say it def got better when he got fixed. Max was also kenneled when he left the house from when he first came home till just a month or so ago, since when we left is when hed usually have his accident I think it was partially cuz hed get nervous/anxiety. The last month he hasnt been kenneled at all and hes doing awesome it just takes quite a bit of time for the little guys to be perfect it just takes alot of time

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Like Eleanor already said, it almost always happens. Jersey did great for a couple of months, then regressed back before everything clicked. Just stay consistent and make sure to clean up all the accidents with a good enzyme based cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hang in there. If he is young, he will get the hang of it. My lab, Maggie, is 9 years old and still regresses. I can't leave her the run of the house like I can Molly, my beagle. She has to stay in the kitchen. Maggie was 4 years old when I got her and was kept in a kennel outside, so she was never formally potty trained. She will go for weeks without having an accident. Then, once in awhile, I will come home and find a rather large puddle.

I have had four dogs in my adult life. Every one has been different in regards to potty training. My GSD took a year and a half before she quit going in the house. My chocolate lab male took 6 months. Molly took less than 8 weeks after we got her, she was 8 weeks old. Like Jen said, stay consistent. He'll get the hang of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts