Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I took Fin out for a long walk around a lake and got him some toys for his AA. Well that night he decided to get sick all over my house and I mean the backend kind of sick. It was horrible and I could tell he was in pain from it. So my mom and I gave him some pepto and cooked him rice thinking that would help. Well no, he continued throughout the night but I was grateful he woke me up before doing his business. So yesterday morning we take him to the vet and he has an intestinal virus. This seems like a generic term for tummy ache but they gave him fluids and a antibiotic. For the next 3 days I have to feed him Science Diet W/D and give him medicine.

The thing I want to know is that my vet said beagles normally get these episodes where their stomach stops digesting the food properly. It sounded a little ridiculous to me since this is the first bout Fin has had. She also claimed that beagles should have strong stomachs because they are hunters and can eat anything they see on the trail. Is there any truth to this? We were afraid Fin had gotten into the cat's litter box, but the vet said "he could handle it". I also thought it might have been from his anal glands, while we boarded him I had them express the glands. Do you know if this would have caused anything to upset his bowels?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
All I can say is that beagles do tend to eat anything,usually without too much trouble. The number of long since dead mice and other creatures I've seen disappear down our beagles throats is amazing! However all our beagles have had bouts of upset stomachs. Some creatures, like voles have a natural poison in them, which may not kill a dog but can make it sick.
Do as your vet suggests for the next few days. Did she/he take any samples for lab.tests? Hope Fin is well again soon.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did take a sample and the worst part was they had to extract it from him. He had just gone to the bathroom and we didn't grab the sample, so they did what they needed (ie, probing) and somehow got it out of him. I felt so bad for him cause I could hear him whimpering in the other room. They did everything to make him comfortable though. Poor boy!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Poor Fin. I have to say our gang are particularly hardy, and notwithstanding that they eat EVERYTHING disgusting they can find, they rarely (knock on wood) have tummy-aches. Popcorn did, however, have an extremely bad case of "runny bum" a couple of months after we adopted her, and even ended up at the vet for a couple of days because she just couldn't shake it.

You mention having boarded Fin recently - perhaps he picked something up then?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Fin! Jersey has had an episode like that before. Back around Christmas she ate something she shouldn't have and had a "runny bum" (love that Maria!) for several days. The vet said she had gastrointestinal something...basically just a fancy term for an upset tummy. She got a shot of something, some fluids and Metroprozinol (I think that's it...too lazy to go look!). Oh, and she was on the Science Diet W/D too. I'm sure Fin will be back to himself in no time. Give him some extra tummy rubs from Jersey and Me!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor little guy. It's too bad his big day had to end like that. I hope he's feeling better now. I don't know about the strong stomach thing. Our Bocephus was from champion hunting stock, and he absolutely could not tolerate a little ice cream. Poor guy loved it, and begged for it, but it always made him sick. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Laxmobster, your vet's comment about beagles eating anything reminded me of something I was told when Shiloh was a puppy. A neighbor said that his Dad had raised beagles for years, and that beagles "have very strong stomachs. They can eat anything, even rocks, and it won't bother them." Well, I think he was partly right--beagles will eat lots of stuff they probably shouldn't. But it can still upset their stomachs. Just one day this week Shiloh wandered into the yard next door while I was scooping poop, and by the time I caught up with her she was crunching on something she'd found there. Of course she wouldn't let me take it from her, so I have no idea what it was, but the next day she had the worst case of the "runs" and was acting pretty droopy. But when she finally got it out of her system she was fine. I hope Fin will be soon too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts