Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all, I am so twitterpated about Henry and his eating habits! I want so badly to resolve this! Henry came to us almost two years ago a bit underweight. The shelter had him on Science Diet, which he hated and is not the best. With my vet's blessing I switched him over to ProPlan chicken and rice. He ate that ok for a little while, then started vomiting after eating. After scoping and bloodwork and x-rays, it was determined that there was absolutely nothing wrong with him. So I did some tweaking to his diet, making sure he was well exercised and cooled off before meals, then adding warm water to his food. That worked well, and he was fine for the better part of a year. Not the best eater, mind you, but he ate. The last couple of months he's gotten finicky again, and I worry about it so much! I've toyed with the thought of switching him to a higher quality food, but went through so much getting him to eat normally I figured it wasn't worth it. Now I'm ready to try. I know this is so longwinded, but basically I want some straight up honest opinions about what y'all feed your dogs. I'm checking my options as far as brands and prices and availabilty goes. Is it going to hurt my almost 3 year old pup to change brands now? I'm going to try to get some free samples so I can feel him out before I drop a bunch of money. Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
We use a mix of Innova EVO and Nutro lamb & rice.
I'm wanting to switch completely to Innova EVO, but with her stress colitis, I'm a worry-wart, too.

I say if you want to switch brands, do it very slowly so you can control it and watch the effects.

I hope it helps him! (and helps you..I know how you feel!)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't think it will hurt at all just as long as you do it gradually rather than all at once.

Would it help to add a small topping of a quality canned food to his regular food to entice him to eat more?

Or you could feed him like my parents feed their 4 year old Golden Retriever-add spaghetti sauce to his food every day. Guaranteed to pack on the pounds as the obese golden will attest too!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We tried 3 different foods with Roscoe before we found one that worked for him! We use Blue Buffalo now (for all 3 dogs) and they all love it!
With Roscoe we eased him into each one and in between wound up boiling chicken and rice b/c some food upset his stomach

It can be a process of trial and error unfortuantely but as mentioned above you have to do it very gradually and monitor any reactions

·
Registered
889 Posts
I also don't think it will hurt to switch as long as it's gradual. We've had our two on several different foods. We just always make sure to make the switch over a period of a week or two. Right now Rocky is on Innova EVO and we are in the process of switching Daisy from her prescription allergy food back to Innova EVO. The allergy food didn't seem to help her so we didn't see a need to keep paying the $$ for it.

Rocky and Daisy both ended up with diarrhea when we switched them to Blue Buffalo, but I've heard really good things about it, so it could have been a fluke.

My parents feed their Labs the Salmon formula from Taste of the Wild and have very good luck. If we were to switch again I would go to that most likely.

Let us know how it goes!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks y'all! I know Henry will never be a chowhound, but I'd really like to get him on some quality food that he enjoys. At least enough so that I can put the bowl down and he'll eat without me having to doctor the food or worry so much. He's gotten to where he won't hardly eat for my mom, and I have to be really firm with him about coming into the kitchen and eating his food. I'd like to go on vacation or out of town sometime without worrying about him getting hungry!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He just refused his breakfast, after a nice walk and cool down. What's the deal!? What do y'all think about feeding him just once a day? It seems like he's only really hungry for dinner. And I work and go to college full time; eating breakfast by 7 am isn't going to change anytime soon. Arghh! I'm calling companies now to get some samples...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Actually, I don't think feeding him once a day is that bad. Most days, JoJo skips breakfast all together and won't eat until 4 or 5pm. But I'd make sure he has something out while you're gone just in case he wants to eat.

I was reading an article yesterday that suggested using a toy...I'll have to grab the name of it. But you place kibble inside and they have to work to get it out. It's challenging for them and may get him more interested in eating.
We're actually going to try one with JoJo as her eating isn't the best right now, either.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this thread. Abby doesn't eat well, either, and I've been wondering if we should try another food. Right now I'm feeding her Nutro Ultra Puppy food. Some days she skips breakfast and only eats a little bit at supper (maybe 1/2 the recommended daily portion). Other days she scarfs down more than the recommended amount. But, more than not, she doesn't eat much and I worry... I'm going to keep my eye on this post for some ideas, too!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We switched to once a day feedings and it is not a problem at all! We feed them in the early evenings and during the day they get healthful treats!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker is on Kirkland Lamb and Rice from Costco. He seems to do best with lamb. We have tried other meats in his kibble and he doesn't deal with it as well.

Before Jasmine went ot he bridge, we bought her some special dog gravy for her food. She wasn't eeating good so we put it on her food and it did help. We eventually switched to all canned food because the vet and us decided that at her age and health (17, COPD), it didn't really matter what she got, just as long as it was healthy and she ate it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Originally Posted By: RosColeWe switched to once a day feedings and it is not a problem at all! We feed them in the early evenings and during the day they get healthful treats!
Ditto for Murphy. I fill his food first thing in the morning, but he rarely eats anything before I top it with couple treats in the evening.

One thing to remember-unless there is a health issue they won't starve themselves.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Its hard for me to imagine this because Maggie eats anything and everything she can get. I just wanted to mention that I buy Maggie's food at a local independently owned store and they will give me samples of anything I want to try.
I do rotate Maggie's food. When we get close to the end of the bag I start mixing something different with it. She has no trouble with her stomach when I switch. She usually gets, Orijen, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Honest Kitchen.

·
Registered
889 Posts
LOL Daisy and Rocky eat just about anything too

·
Registered
837 Posts
How often do you feed him and how long do you leave food down when he doesn't eat it?

I feed my dogs on a raw diet which will always be my preference, but if you're really keen to feed dried food I usually recommend Eagle Pack Holistic or Artemis grain free.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feed in the mornings and evenings, about 12 hours apart (not always at the same exact times) and I'm a firm believer in keeping feeding time structured. I don't like to feed him until after he's been out and stretched, or walked, and he has to come into the kitchen and sit for his food, then make eye contact with me. I never free feed, and on the occasion that he flat out refuses to eat, I remove the food pretty quickly. So rarely does he refuse. But he's finicky and picky and really pokey. Like he really doesn't want it but eats because he knows better. But lately he has started to refuse, so it's frustrating. He SHOULD be hungry! He gets at least an hour of moderate to vigorous exercise daily, and we play in the house all the time. We have a very normal routine with a family that eats most of their meals in the home. Argh.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even his very favorite foods he will often play with, he never scarfs anything up immediately.

But this morning we went to the pet store and tried samples of Nutro Ultra, Innova, and Merrick. He seemed to like the Nutro best, and there was a Nutro rep there who was really helpful and a very good salesman lol. As there was not too much difference in price, I bought a small bag of the Nutro to try. The food is manufactured just a few hours away in a really nice town; that was also a deciding factor for me. I'm a self-professed health nut, and I like the idea of supporting local industry. I fed him a small mixture of the Nutro, and for the first time in forever he seemed really keen! He even came around looking for seconds! So fingers crossed he can make the switch easily...I am so hopeful right now!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good to hear!

I really like that they allow you to try them at the pet store. Is it a local store or one of the bigger names?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts