Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chase has mastered "sit". Right now we're working on more commands. He's doing really good with "stay" so soon he'll be mastering that also. YAY! :thumbup:

But potty training is still a problem we're trying to fix. The weather is getting better here so maybe we can get him to go potty outside. I mean he's not making anymore kennel potty's so I'm sure we can get him potty trained by next month. I'm hoping for it. Wish us luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!!!! Everyday I increase the "stay" time. Right now he's at 30 seconds. I think that's really good for him seeing that he's so young.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chase Mommy:
Thanks guys!!!! Everyday I increase the "stay" time. Right now he's at 30 seconds. I think that's really good for him seeing that he's so young.
It's not just really good, it's great!!! I sometimes put Chloe in "stay" when we enter and exit the elevator. She always seems to be very worried that I won't let her in or out of it... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif It's a little harder with dogs around, as she always want's to play. But than again, who can blame her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
751 Posts
wonderful.

Only thing I can suggest about the pottying is to take him out all the time, same door, same way. More times the better, he should get it faster.

Use a code word like let's go outside, or potty or something.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah I agree on taking him out all the time. Set a timer for 45 minutes and then take him out when the timer goes off (or look at a clock and mark off 30 -45 minutes mentally). Even if he does have to go or look like he has to go. One day you will be trilled when he gets up all of the sudden and walks over to the door. Scout will walk over to the door and then look back over her shoulder at me as if to say "Uh, can you open this please?".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, That's what I am doing. And guys he goes to the door... Once he gets outside though... NOTHING (sometimes) I mean he'll rather go on a poop search lol or he'll play in the snow or chew on a few sticks and leaves. We'll be outside for 45 minutes sometimes. As soon as we come inside he'll do his business right by the door. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Drew:
Yeah I agree on taking him out all the time. Set a timer for 45 minutes and then take him out when the timer goes off (or look at a clock and mark off 30 -45 minutes mentally). Even if he does have to go or look like he has to go. One day you will be trilled when he gets up all of the sudden and walks over to the door. Scout will walk over to the door and then look back over her shoulder at me as if to say "Uh, can you open this please?".
When I was first attempting to housebreak Shiloh. I would bring him to the door then pick up one paw and scratch on the door. Shiloh,now 2 1/2,has learned that "scratching on the door" leads to "outside time". He picked it up pretty fast & it works great ! But from time to time he will just walk over to the door & just sit and stare at the door. Then give me the "over the shoulder" look to see if I am noticeing him ! :biglaugh: Think he just wants to see if I pay attention to him ! :biglaugh: :thumbup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
My wife gave Scout treats to go outside, this was after she was already trained. So now when she goes to the door, sometimes she waits for a treat. We can tell when she really has to go when she darts right out. The weird thing about this and it ties in with the sleeping is that she doesn't really have to go real bad when I wake her in the morning. She used to have to go in the middle of the night. Now I have to physically pull her out of her crate on weekday mornings and she doesn't even go to the door. I have to put her out, but then she does go. Dogs are funny sometimes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Drew:
My wife gave Scout treats to go outside, this was after she was already trained. So now when she goes to the door, sometimes she waits for a treat. We can tell when she really has to go when she darts right out. The weird thing about this and it ties in with the sleeping is that she doesn't really have to go real bad when I wake her in the morning. She used to have to go in the middle of the night. Now I have to physically pull her out of her crate on weekday mornings and she doesn't even go to the door. I have to put her out, but then she does go. Dogs are funny sometimes.
lol Glover holds it all night but has started refusing to get up in the morning and go outside so this morning I refused to carry him in the crate (very heavy!!) so I dragged him out and he went outside, sat down and waited for me to come out with the crate... then the lazy bugger just went in the crate again!! you would have thought he was busting! but no lol lazy little thing

xx
K

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The scratching on the door is cute. Hehehe

Yea, I do the treats too. I also say "go potty" in a chantting way and praise him when he actually goes. Like "Good potty Chase" and feed him the treat.

He does good over night (sometimes) He poops the floor at 12:35 am every early am while me and my hubby is sleeping but he does urinate until the mornings when my hubby goes to work or my son goes to school.

He seems to be getting better but I notice that he only goes to the door when he wants to go outside to play not to potty lol

·
Registered
751 Posts
then don't let him play until he goes. I did that with Marley. Until he was trained, outside was for potty only. No poop, then no play, back inside. When he did go poop, he got lots of praise, treat, and then to play. I think it made him want ensure that he went so he could play. Sometimes it was just a little little bit but he got to play. Only had to do this a week or two and he was going like clock work every time I took him out. I also used the words, go poop over and over, then GOOD POOP, when he went.

Also, if he is pooping every night at the same time, same place, he sounds confused as to where he must go. Crate him with the door closed at night and just enough space to turn around and lay down. When you get up, take him right outside to do his business. Keep a routine. He shoud get it. when he goes inside you have to catch him quickly and say outside, and take him right out so he connects going with outside.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That was the one thing about Scout, she only pooped in her crate maybe twice right when we first got her. And she pooped in the house when we were there maybe 3 times (1 time she was scared to go out because a huge dog got in our yard). She used to pee all the time in her crate, she was young so I just cleaned it up and hoped she would hold it. Eventually she did but sometimes she still has her accidents. Like if she drinks a bunch before we leave and we didn't notice. And one time last week when I had to work overtime and was later getting home. I read that it isn't till about 9 months that they have full control over their bladder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys... Hopefully we get Chase to go potty outside real soon. I'm trying what you guys are saying I just need to stick to one routine and keep it up... Hopefully he catches on in the weeks to come.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts