Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday after work I decided to take Fin to the dog park to run around and have fun. Well he was doing fine, chasing dogs and playing with them. I started to hear this loud barking and growling and looked back to se what was going on and then I heard Fin yelp so loud. Everyone in the park turned around to see what was going on. This woman whose Sheltie was the one instigating all the dogs tells me that her dog is all bark no bite and says Fin looks ok. I check him out real quick but seeing as he kept running around and didn't act hurt I thought it was alright.

As I'm driving home from the dog park Fin had his head out the window and as soon as his ear flipped back I saw a trickle of blood. So I'm freaking out and I pull the car over on I-66 to check him out. That's when I see the real damage, apparently the sheltie(I'm almost positive he was the biter) had bitten Fin on the ear and ripped away as he had a tight grip. There are all these little slits in his ear and one even on his temple with a patch of hair missing. My mom helped me clean his ear up and we put Betadine on it to reduce infection. Now the only reason I didn't take him to the vet is he seems to be doing ok. No crying, he doesn't seem in pain and he's acting his normal beagle self. I'm going to keep an eye on him and the wound just in case. Although honestly, I may end up just taking him to the vet in case the dog that bit him didn't have all his shots up to date. My poor boy, I'm going to try and find a another dog park in my area or at least wait a long time before taking him back to that one.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Aww I'm so sorry your poor baby got bitten. Shelties are very what I call "yappy" dogs but not normally biters. Sounds like all the dogs perhaps got a bit over excited wih all the chasing and playing.

Hope he heals up soon.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That's terrible! I would go back and find the owner of that sheltie. Even if they don't believe you or deny that their dog did it, at least they know to watch out. I hope Fin isn't in any pain. Give him lots of extra cookies and love.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Poor Fin! I hope he is ok. I am always so scared going to dog park that Lucky will be bitten. Lucky & I send our love to Fin.

Jenn & Lucky

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Poor Fin! I'm so sorry he got hurt!! Did you wind up taking him to the vet? Hope you can find another dog park, or at least avoid the Sheltie.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is doing ok, he only cried a little when I cleaned it out. But I was so proud of Fin, he just sat there and didn't try to retaliate or nothing. Actually I don't think I've ever witnessed Fin being aggressive at all, but he was such a good boy. He got many pupperoni sticks when we got home. Never tried them before and he loves!!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Poor Fin. What a nasty experience. I wouldnt go near that park again either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is horrible! It is also one of the reasons that dog parks make me nervous. I would defintley try to find another park to go to. Give fin loads of hugs and kisses from us! Poor pup! Our Daisy has several scars on her, one big one above her right eye. The vet said it looked like a scar from another dog. They are strong dogs. Best of luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
439 Posts
ive seen a lot of bites in my day, and recieved most of them.
keep an eye open just incase. keep the bite cleaned and dressed 3x a day. look for redness and swelling. if a quick trip to the vet will ease your mind, go for it.
the worst bite ive ever seen was from a cat.
you honestly dont want me to discribe it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Although I've never been to a dog park, I imagine that this could happen at any dog park. Makes me nervous.

And I would return to that dog park and if the sheltie's owner is there, ask her if her dogs shots are up to date. If for no other reason than to make a point and kind of warn other dog owners in ear shot...you think her dog bit but you're not sure.

Fin is such a sweet boy...they all are...but he acted so brave and good. Glad he got some extra treats. I know of a pudgy little beagle who would love to play with Fin...four hours away in SW VA. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Extra belly rubs from Henry and I.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Yep, dog parks make me nervous too. Our nearby large community is opening a dog park which requires a membership to use.

The dogs must be tested by a dog trainer for aggression and other character traits before getting membership. Owners must take their dogs through citizenship classes.

Nominal fee for use per year and graduation from the program gives unlimited access to owners. The gate on the park will use some type of security code or swipe card to open.

Members will be responsible for proper use.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Every now and then you'll see some dogs get aggressive in dog park. Just someone in a bad mood, after all they are canine, no control unless the owner does. It is always the owner's fault if something like this happen. If Fin enjoys going there, there is always another friend to play with.
Charlie has some bad experience, but most of the time he enjoys going.
Sorry about Fin, hope he is ok.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor Fin! Gentle hugs and kisses sent his way. I agree with Gingergoose that a trip back to the park, with or without Fin, is in order to locate the sheltie's owner for the purpose of asking about shots.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
aaww poor Finn ....sure hope he heals up really soon. That is one of the reason that I pretty much follow my dogs around at the dog park.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I got home yesterday, Fin's ear was swollen and the cut inside his ear was pussing. So I called up the vet and took him in right away. Well it obviously was infected so they gave him a shot of antibiotic and another rabies shot just in case the other dog wasn't vaccinated. I didn't understand that because I had just gotten his shots 3 weeks ago, but she said we want to be safe. They also gave him some pain medication. He's doing ok now, sleeping a lot and I'm making sure to give him many kisses and hugs. She said that we have to be careful with ear infections because they tend to spread into the ear and through the rest of the body. So if there are any issues in a couple days I'm going to take him back and get it checked out. Thanks again for your well wishes.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:Originally posted by debannib:
Yep, dog parks make me nervous too. Our nearby large community is opening a dog park which requires a membership to use.

The dogs must be tested by a dog trainer for aggression and other character traits before getting membership. Owners must take their dogs through citizenship classes.

Nominal fee for use per year and graduation from the program gives unlimited access to owners. The gate on the park will use some type of security code or swipe card to open.

Members will be responsible for proper use.
That sounds like a good idea! I wish they had something like that set up in our area. There are so many types of dogs that come to the park, some playful some agressive. I usually keep an eye on him and the dogs he plays with because he has small dog syndrome, and tries to act tough in front of the big dogs.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I'm so sorry Fin developed an infection! Give him a belly rub for me! Hope the medication helps him heal quickly!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, I just went home for lunch to give him his meds. He seems to be doing ok, a little sluggish though. I figure the medicine is making him drowsy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts