Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's an odd thing.
sophie used to love to play fetch. it seemed like she lived to play. now, when i take her out to play, she will chase the ball and bring it back a time or 2, but after that, when i throw the ball, she doesn't chase it.
instead i get this look of hey, i bring it back and you keep throwing it away. i'm not getting it for you again
if i walk down and get the ball, she will follow me back into the apt as if she expects me to throw it, but if i do, she won't chase it. i just get the look. any suggestions?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Try being more active while playing with her... pretend to be chasing the ball along with her, excite her in any way you can. Use treats.

Also, bear in mind that sometimes - THEY JUST DON'T WANT TO PLAY WITH YOU!!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm convinced most beagles don't care much about fetch. I few years ago I was at the beaglefest run by Seattle Beagle Rescue and there was about 100 beagles there. Someone threw a ball and only one beagle went after it. Another family pulled out sandwiches and was attacked. I guess if you threw a hamburger she would go after it, but it would never come back.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker's DadI'm convinced most beagles don't care much about fetch.
We call our Beagles SPOILERS. They don't want to play fetch, but when Sam (who loves it) is playing fetch with us, all the beagles do is chase after him and chew on the back of his thighs. They could care less about the ball Sam is after. Poor Sam!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
We experienced the same thing with Bodie. What we did is turn it into a training exercise. I'd use the clicker and every time he brought the object back and drop it I'd click and give him a treat. We might do this 5-10 times. If you do this daily you'll see a drastic improvement within a few days.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
The only thing our two chase is food and I can assure you they dont bring it back! Susi and snoopy have never played with objects, infact when they first came they didnt play at all. Now aged 8 we were shedding tears of joy when Susi suddenly played chase with Snoopy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker's DadI'm convinced most beagles don't care much about fetch.
Chloe actually enjoyed playing fetch 85% of the time. She will bring back whatever I throw for her. Sometimes she will take breaks and play with the toy after getting it, but usually then she will bring it to me to throw again.

I just love that tiny beagle to pieces

·
Registered
786 Posts
My two like to watch me play fetch. I throw and fetch for them.

I've had 2 shephards and one lab who loved to play fetch. Actually our other dog **** use to like to play, but since his knees give him trouble we don't let him play that much. Jasmine and Maggie like to watch us play fetch or they will get the ball maybe twice after you throw it, but then you can see they don't see the sense in it? Go figure! (They will play with cat toys)HMMMMMMM!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
We experienced the same thing with Bodie. What we did is turn it into a training exercise. I'd use the clicker and every time he brought the object back and drop it I'd click and give him a treat. We might do this 5-10 times. If you do this daily you'll see a drastic improvement within a few days.
i will definitely try this starting tomorrow.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I usually toss tiny bits of treats for Henry to fetch, then call him back to me and give him another tiny piece for his recall. I tried throwing a toy and treating him when he brought it back, but the food was just too tempting for him!

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's not in the beagles nature to fetch...
Their nature is chasing and that's what my beags do. They chase the ball.

What they like very much is chasing labradors and shepperds while they are playing fetch

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky loves fetch! He can play for hours on end!
He is 3 and 1/2 now and loves it just as much if not more than when he was a puppy!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, one thing that has changed is the direction she will fetch. we play in the hallway. formerly, she would only fetch if i throw from the elevator, down the hallway towards our apt. now she will only fetch in the other direction. i have a weird dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts