Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been just over a month since my SO and I adopted Oscar. He is such a joy in our house. We both adore him. As some of you know from reading our intro, Oscar was a rescue that came with lots of baggage and was heavily abused. We've tried our best to provide a safe, consistant and loving environment. At first he was improving in leaps and bounds. He figured out what toys are and loves his bones, he loves long walks and even car rides.

We spent a week at Christmas time at my mom's house where he played all day everyday with my mom's pitbull mix. They LOVED each other. Oscar came completely out of his shell. He was not shy, timid, nervous etc. But as soon as we brought him back home he reverted back to his shy, timid self.

This makes me feel just horrible. I would love to adopt a friend for him to make him happy, but I'm not 100% sure we could handle two dogs. I also have a horse who is in serious competition training 6 days a week. It's easy to bring one dog out to the barn but two might be too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom to help Oscar? I just want him to be happy and comfortable.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oscar already has the most important thing, a pack (you) that loves him. You've seen the progress he has already made, and I can assure you, he will continue to make improvement. It does take time to shed rescue baggage. Oscar will be just fine. Give him a couple years to mature, shed more baggage, and give you both time get past his adolescence and then when he is a mature adult beagle, you might want to revisit a second adult rescue (Two mature beagles might be far less trouble with trips to the barn then any pup. Besides, by then, Oscar could show the new addition the ropes.

My Bagel was between 3 and 5 when I rescued him and it took almost two years to shed all his rescue baggage. I am now considering seeking another rescue buddy for my Bagel.

Bagel says, until your ready to adopt another, you and Oscar should visit your mum a lot /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob & Bagel! I guess I just needed some peace of mind that this isn't a fast process and I need to be patient. Unfortunately my mom is 8 hours away /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif But he does get the play with other dogs are the barn, and he's wonderful with the horses. He knows exactly where to be, and my horse who usually doesn't like dogs is actually calmed and relaxed when Oscar is around!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm no expert - Buckley was a rescue, but from what I could tell he had never been abused and didn't have any baggage to contend with. But dogs thrive on routine, and the change of going to your mom's, settling in, and then leaving again may have been a little stressful for him even if he really enjoyed it. I'm sure once things settle back down to his regular routine for a while, he will get back to normal again.

I know that when Buckley had been with another dog for a weekend or a few days and then was alone again when he came home that he seemed down (and really tired from all the play!), but he soon readjusted.

I'm sure your patience and love will pay off.

I will say, having just brought a second dog into our home, that while it is more work in some regards, it is also less in others. When we just had Buckley he was always looking to us for someone to play with, and we just couldn't spend 4 hours a night entertaining him! Now, we still play with them, but they play a LOT with each other and seem very happy alone at home during the day.

At some point down the road, an older rescue might be just the ticket - but I think Oscar needs more time to bond with you at this stage since it's only been a month.

Belly rubs to Oscar from Buckley, Jewelie and I!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
OM,

Every time we go on vacation with Summer & Murphy, Summer is her happy playful self. The morning after home and have to return to work, she sulks and gets very nervous. After four years she still thinks we are going to abandon her. Murphy completely understands that we will be home in time for dinner.

Oscar is still young and still learning. He has his baggage. Some he will shed in time, some he will not. He will have setbacks from time to time as well. Try not to take them as being your fault. He will come back around. Just be loving, reassuring and keep things consistent. Thats all we can do. The rest is up to him.

As for the second dog, that is up to you, your schedule and what you can handle. For us, Summer became Murphy's companion and gave him a more active life. In return, he is her rock. He is always there.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I couldn't agree more with what the others have said. Our youngest rescue, Popcorn, was so terrified when she arrived that we didn't really even know how tall she was for some time because she spent most of the time slinking around with her belly rubbing on the ground. We have had her for a year and a bit now and although she still has a long way to go, when we look back at where she started she really has made great progress in that time - although not without many setbacks too. Her comfort zone quickly became the inside world - we live in a condo and as soon as the elevator doors shut to come home she would noticeably relax. It is only in the last couple of months that she has wagged her tail outside, though. We do have two other, well-adjusted, beagles and I think they have helped somewhat it making Popcorn come out of her shell, although I really can't say that Popcorn really gets all that much comfort out of them and their calmness when she goes into "I'm going to be killed at any moment" mode - it doesn't much matter what they are doing or what we say at that point...

All I can really say is that it is going to be long process but a very rewarding one for you - keep focusing on the steps forward and try not to get discouraged by the steps backward.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Tami,

Everybody has given you good advice.

My Henry was a rescue...found as a stray after Hurricane Rita, put it a high-kill shelter, then placed on a transport truck full of labradors for rescue to bring to us, his new family, in SW Virginia.

He came to us a bundle of nerves and dying from heartworms. He barely had time to settle in and get to know us when he launched in to some stressful and painful heartworm treatments that kept him hospitalized in another strange place.

This February 3 will be one year that they took him off of that transport truck and put him in my arms (see photo on my profile).

Anyway, he still has his ghosts...you really never know what will set him off and give him "bad nerves :freak: "". We just have to work with it.

But rest assure, that Henry, just like Oscar, knows that he is safe and loved. He just has to get used to the idea. Does that make sense?

Kiss him for Henry and I, please.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oscar is a very lucky beagle. We with rescues all know they have a lot of history but all we can do is give them our love and care. later maybe you could get oscar a companion. We have two beagles, but they came to us together. Good luck and congratulations on all you are doing.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Hi Tami, so glad you rescued a Beagle. We got Kip 3 years ago this month to be a companion to Murphy. She was about 10 yr old when we adopted her. She still has issues we're trying to help her get over. Yesterday, for the first time she got out of bed, wandered the house and sat and looked out the patio door. That was the first time she had ever done that. Very relaxed and natural as could be. It almost made me cry.

You've gotten very good advice. Plus, I used to compete horses I know what that is like. In my humble opinion, I think I would wait. Let Oscar settle in some more and get more secure in your pack.

Out of curiosity, when you take him to the barn, do you let him run free or tie him? And, what do you ride, what discipline? I rode hunters then dressage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:Originally posted by KSycamore:

Out of curiosity, when you take him to the barn, do you let him run free or tie him? And, what do you ride, what discipline? I rode hunters then dressage.
I actually put him on a lunge line so that he has some slack to explore our little area, but still short enough that I can keep an eye on him. He's not ready to be loose yet, that little nose takes him wandering too much.

I've shown A rated hunters/jumpers/eq for the last 16 years. I'm actually now starting to switch to dressage a bit. My current horse is just turning 17 and is not able to do the heights we've done in the past anymore. We've lowered the fences and I've started working with a dressage trainer.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi!

I'm sure Oscar will be just fine once he really settles in with you. It will take time.

From what I've read about horses it seems that they often pick out a companion they really like to have around. Sounds like your horse feels good around Oscar -- this may be the start of a lifelong friendship between them perhaps. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'd be interested to find out if this is true -- so do let us know.

Hope you're enjoying our group :wave:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts