Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this maybe a silly question for some, however, I'm unexperienced in pups.

Question, when is the best time to feed My dog? I have been trying mornings, but come nite time he's hungry again, but don't want him eating in evening because of accidents in the house. & how much?

thank you

·
Registered
96 Posts
How old is the pup? Most sources suggest 3 feedings a day for the first six months, then 2 from 6-12, and 1 or 2 (depending on the dog) after that. As long as the dog is getting their required intake of food and isn't getting sick by eating too much at once, there isn't really a problem. However, dogs can get hyperglycemic due to overeating and there won't be much warning that something is wrong until something bad happens, so keep an eye on your dog and if in doubt go with more frequent, smaller meals.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I feed Chloe twice a day. In the morning she is getting a kong filled with food and yummy stuff...frozen, so she is not bored (killing 2 birds with one stone). In the evening she is getting a full cup of Merrick adult food (Cowboy Cookout).
She doesn't have accidents when I'm around... how convenient :rolleyes:

You should feed him according to what it says on the bag (usually by his age and weight). I would split the daily portion.

Don't forget - beagles are always hungry!!!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is the exception to the rule because she is not a ferociously hungry beagle, devouring everything in sight :lol2:

Since we brought Abby home at 3 months (she's now 2 1/2 years) I've been able to leave dry food out all day, which I refill when gone...equals to her eating about 2 cups a day...and I give her wet food at lunch time.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is 14 Months old. weighs 28lbs, he may of lost a couple of lbs since we adopted him just over a week ago now. He was not eating for the first couple of days.

He is very active, *pup like* so Morning fill is about a cup and a half, but playing durring day makes him hungery, so you think lunch time? for feeding instead? * ohh I'm so confused*

I understand Beagles will eat alot, that's why I need to make sure I'm not starving him or denying the right time to feed him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Maybe you can give him treats during the day... a little carrots, stuffed kong (which will be a challenge and a treat/play at the same time), during the evening you can give him half the portion you gave him in the morning, to "keep him quiet".
If you keep track for the next few weeks, you will learn more about him, see if he is gaining weight.... then you can adjust feedings. You can also consult with your vet about it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
He will thrive on any schedule that should be convenient for you. Most beagles have trouble fighting the battle of the bulge so if they can wangle food they will. Food is a great motivational tool so figure in treats (even if it is their regular kibble) so that their daily consumption doesn’t exceed they needed nutrition.

Convenient to you may revolve around when your pup has access to the outside as what goes in must come out and the need to eliminate is timed to when their food was processed. I don’t know if your pup is housetrained yet, if he is crated, or lot’s of questions.

I feed by beagle once a ay ion the morning before leaving for work. I would say I was more the exception than the rule in only feeding once a day. No one wants a starved pet but a slightly hungry beagle is easier to train, easier to motivate so splitting their daily ration in two meals (breakfast and supper) is probably the a good routine to get into if your pup is in need of a lot of training.

·
Registered
889 Posts
most people feed way to much, the best guide is see what the guide on the packet says then feed them a little less than stated as they always tell you more than you really need. You can split it into 2 meals which we find best for our dogs.
If your pup seems to lose weight just increase his food a little and if he seem to gain just cut down a little , every dog is different the same as we are.
There is no reason why he should not be able to hold himself untill the morning if he has a good diet and regular exersise as he is 14 mths very nearly an adult, if he is still going toilet in the house then you might want to start all over and re-toilet train from scratch.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx to those that have posted on feeding times.

I gave him a cup in the morning around 8:00am, (then walk) then another feeding at dinner time. Went for a long evening walk. (he did his buisness both times, when we walked.

He actualy held himself till this mornings walk after his breaky feed:)

Hope I don't jinx it, because this is actualy progross I'm making without him going in the house when we are sleeping. 1 night, many more to go:)

Am I giving him enough walks?or too many? He gets his walk after breaky, then one in later day, then another late night walk.

When his cone comes off , he will be going back to, the morning walk around 8:30, play time with his friends around 10am, then later day another walk, and his evening walk.

He gets pees inbetween these walks. But I'm cutting them out slowly, so he learns to hold longer periods of time, all this has been done gradualy trying to brake his bad habbits or should say NO TRAINING HABBITS.

This is like having an actualy baby (alot of work) I thank you for your support it is helping me cope some with behavours, the cat thing still is not working:(((

How do you stop him from barking and going crazy..so much at other dogs? I say no but he won't have any part of what I'm saying, I know he is just happy and wants to play with all dogs, but I don't think everytime he sees one whether it be from the house window or on his walks (he pulls durring the walk time when he sees other dogs and he's a strong little bugger. This is a behavoure I don't know what to do with. Please don't tell me this is what the Beagle does:(

MORE ADVICE NEEDED FOR THE NEW BEAGLE MUMMY

·
Registered
114 Posts
We feed Scout (almost 6 months old) twice a day. We were doing 3 times, but she wasn't eating at lunch. I guess she is an exception to the beagle rule as she mostly doesn't eat all her food. We giver her about 2 cups a day. 1 cup in the morning and she barely eats half of it. We then add another cup to what is left in the evening. I feed her in the evening after a long walk and play. Sometimes she eats it all, sometime only about half of whats there. We usually leave it out for about 30-45 mins .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleWeegle:
How do you stop him from barking and going crazy..so much at other dogs? I say no but he won't have any part of what I'm saying, I know he is just happy and wants to play with all dogs, but I don't think everytime he sees one whether it be from the house window or on his walks (he pulls durring the walk time when he sees other dogs and he's a strong little bugger. This is a behavoure I don't know what to do with. Please don't tell me this is what the Beagle does:(
Well unfortunately they have a 'pack' nature that gets them very excited around other dogs. That doesn't mean you can't help to reduce it, though. Try training positive re-enforcement first: when he sees another dog, distract him with some treats and praise him as long as he is staying calm. Once he learns that paying attention to you is more beneficial than paying attention to the other dogs, he will resist going crazy when they are around. It's not easy to completely break him of an instinctive habit, but he can be helped. This is a behavior that is common in adolescent dogs (6 to 18 months) and usually gets better as they calm down in later life. As long as they don't get territorial, antisocial, or rewarded when they get excited, it will only get better!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not sure if you read my post a few days back but I had a similar question.

I just brought home Marbles who is 6 months old. They were feeding him 1.5 cups in the am only..probably some treats through the day since he puked up hotdog while bringing him home in the car /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Anyway, he was acting so hungry and lost weight in one day when I fed him 3/4 cup 2x a day...got so skinny for a puppy.

Look at the post...basically Im now giving him a full cup 2x a day and some treats as well...im not worried about weight gain, I just want him to be healthy until he is done growing...he devours his food...so I let him eat it.

My 3 year old beagle gets 1 cup in the am and 1 in the pm...he is very healthy, muscular, and only poops 2x a day after feedings, and we walk him every 6 hours to pee.

Hope this helps
Amanda

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleWeegle:
Am I giving him enough walks?or too many?
I'm not sure there's such a thing as too many walks!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif As has been said here many times, a tired beagle is a good beagle! :hi:
Have you tried using a harness on walks? That might keep him from pulling you so much.
Yes, beagle babes are a lot of work at first, but the loving and loyalty you'll get in return from your sweet boy makes it all so worth it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You all are so helpfull.

So it seems thus far the 2 feedings a day is working thus far.

As for treats Sheesh picky little One.

I bought different types of treats for him and he snubs his nose at them all.

Soo he saw me feeding (baby) that's our cats name. and he wanted some of what he was having, so i tried him with 1 of them they are so tiny:) he loved it. p.s I though I would try giving them each a little on the floor beside each other, baby is down with dogs as I mentioned so he was not bothered, lucky was not neither,(at this time only) he was not trying to eat baby , as long as the treaties were there, no more food, What? Lucky notices then begins to be a nutbar again on Baby.

Hmmmm

Ohhh From all the posts I'm reading, long as there is food Beagles are down with whatever too.

So I will be keeping a few with me for treats.

I know it's cat food, however useing as a treat only 1 at a time should not harm him, right? see looking for an answer. *lol*

I hope and pray this changes baby got an absess from Lucky already (Should mention baby gets abcesses when he's bitten or nibbled marked in any way, cause he does not have antibodies for proper healing ad his wounds turn into infections he has had this from a baby. he has lasted a long time with our proper care and trust to protect him *sigh* for those of you who don't know Baby is 14 years old. & was raised By Our passing Chow of 15years, who breast fed him and took care of him as since a baby this is why he has his name /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Yesturday and this morning every dog that is in the area when we go for walks, I asked the owner if it's ok they meet, they say yes, I allow lucky to meet greet sniff, praising him then say come on lucky as he try's to pull, I say good boy praising and pull him to walk away, constant praise giving a clicking sound and even though he does not wanna leave he whines a touch and then I say again come on Hun, then jog a little then he's down looking back a couple of times, no bark though /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

As for in the house it's a different story I'm not gonna run outside with him everytime he sees a dog from the window. He will just have to learn.

I swear by the way he acts outside, everything seems soooooo new to him, as in he never experienced much of the world:0 but his tail stays up and he's very confedent, and checks on our walks, greets sniffs and jogs, If mum is still with him, it's like he's making sure and he gets excited to see me still with him and I say mummas here it's ok, then he mozzies on.

I will be purchasing a harness like it was mentioned, I will get them to show me how to put it on:)

Yehhhh his come cone of on tuesday, he had this cone on longer than I had him, wonder what he thinks *ha*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts