Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darcy is not my first dog but she is my first beagle and I have been reading alot that beagles tend to over eat. All of my other dogs dont have a feeding schedule - the food is just out 24/7. They are all fine and healthy but I dont know if I should give this same freedom to Darcy. Should she have a feeding schedule of eating twice a day? What should I do?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I feed Chloe once a day her almost full daily portion. She eats it in 10-15 minutes. The rest I fill up in her kong with other treats and stuff, freeze and she gets it before I leave home every morning....

I know some people, with beagles, that leave the food out all day, just make sure that she is not over eating by nibbling in the other bowls.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If I "free fed" this pack the way I did my keeshond and other dogs I've owned, they would be as big as a HOUSE! All my dogs get fed twice a day - 1/2 cup of good quality kibble morning and evening - and, though they all tell me they're starving to death, there's not a skinny beagle in the "tenpack". My "expectant mom" is getting more food now - have just increased the amount per feeding a little, plus added a little yogurt with each feeding to give her a little more protein and calcium, and occasional "scrambled egg". She also gets a little "doggie stew" with veggies and hamburger added to her dinner meal. I'm sure somewhere there exists a beagle that doesn't devour everything in front of them in 5 seconds flat, but it sure doesn't live here!

·
Registered
250 Posts
i leave diesel's food out all day... but i only have one dog so i know he is not eating from other bowls... he gets no more than 3 cups a day 1 1/2 in the morning which he eats half in the morning and half at lunch... and then 1 1/2 at night. he eats his dinner in about an hour...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey gets fed twice a day. About 1/2 - 2/3 of a cup in the morning and the same at night. It all depends on if I mix any canned in, if she's been at day care and more active, etc. Generally though she gets 1/2 cup twice a day. She normally eats it all immediately. If you have other bowls of food Darcy can get into, I'd be cautious about leaving them down. Beagles are notorious chow hounds and gain weight easily.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My dogs are fed twice a day, but if they don't eat all their food it gets left out for them and they eventually eat it. Some days they are hungrier than on other days. I still watch that they do not start showing signs of gaining weight, but so far they are still at healthy stages.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock and Bones, still on puppy food, eat twice a day, 2/3 cup in the morning and a full cup in the evening. We've got a magnetic whiteboard stuck to the refrigerator door that lets us check off when the puppies have eaten so we know whether or not they need food. I didn't look at the board too closely this morning, being really tired when I stumbled out of bed, and fed the puppies about half an hour ago, only to discover my boyfriend had already fed them at 8 and come back to bed. Now they're running around outside with the fattest little tummies I've ever seen on them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif
But how do you know how much to feed your dogs? By the weight and age right? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hihi.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Our feeding schedule is the same as everyone else has already said 2 times a day and 1/2 cup. Although, the night feeding includes a homemade mixture of grits, chicken, green beans, peas, and carrots. The kibble is reduced by half in the evening.

We settled on the anount based on books and input from our vet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts