Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Around here we have to be eagle eyed, shoes on, and ready to take (13 wk old) Bernie out constantly (once per hour or more depending on the water intake) to pee if he's not crated. He's a water pig, food pig, and a chewing nutcase (just ask the newly chewed doorframe that apparently got in his way of getting to me in the bathroom!) Bernie whines to go out to poop, but only glances at the door to let you know he has to pee. Thankfully I am home all day with him, and usually catch that glance.

We are working on the "pee time Bernie", and he sometimes heads to the door, to wait the leash (escape artist dog here, that wants to befriend the skunks, possums, and whatever other wild life is out there!) The leash helps to remind him that he's there for a job, and once he's done, he gets to play. He used to make Dave the hubby walk for blocks, over snowbanks etc, before he'd pee. Now they're both a little better trained, and it's out the door, down the stairs, find his spot (one location only), and he's done and ready for play.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I had the space (small cottage here) I'd probably have decided to put Bernie's crate somewhere further from the kitchen, and the cat food bowls that now live on a table away from puppy jaws. All he has to do is hear me start prepping dinner, and the whining starts. God forbid that I should feed the cats in his presence! Bernie's been crate trained from day one, and after the first couple of days, the "need to seeeeeeeeeee you, need to talkkkkkkkkkk to you" whining stopped, and bedtime is no longer an issue.

Now if I could stop Ned the feline PIA, from sitting in front of his crate, teasing him, I'd have it made!
Hope all this goes well for you! Kym and Bernie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.