Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone else tell me of experiences they have had when feeding raw carrots to their Beagles? Maya ate a couple of raw carrots tonight while my hubby was fixing his dinner and for about an hour after that she was REALLY hyper. She is not normally a hyper dog so I wonder whether I should worry about giving her carrots.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I give Ruby baby carrots as treats all the time, and she loves them. I also put them in her kongs with some peanut butter. I cut them in a pile of small pieces and feed to her as her distraction treat during her nail clipping, too. She loves her veggies!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mine get one or two baby carrots apiece once or twice a day, though not always every day. They do love them. I've heard they have some natural sugar content, so don't overdo it, but on the whole, they're a pretty good snack.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My guys like baby carrots too. Only once in awhile, I don't notice a behavior change, they are usually always pretty active!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine gets carrots (just ordinary ones) fairly often and I haven't noticed any change in behaviour - but like RosCole's dogs, she's pretty 'active' anyway!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I give Maggie carrots often and I haven't noticed any behaviour changes except occasionally she likes to toss them in the air and roll on them before eating.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours get carrots and no problem with them. Our last beagle, Spotty, had carrots everyday and had beautiful clean teeth til the day she died. The vet was convinced it was the carrots.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I feed Squeegee carrots occasionally. Just whenever I'm eating them and he's giving me the beagle eyes, haha. He seems to like them and I haven't noticed any hyperactivity. Maybe your experience was just a coincidence.

·
Registered
959 Posts
My guys will sit still for baby carrots longer than dog treats....they love them. Infact, the training teacher has told us that carrots are a much better snack food for them than anything else we can give our dogs. Helps with sight, contains beta carotine, fewer calories and good sugars. Maybe it was the sugars and your dh thought he only gave her a few, but she ate more than that...who knows maybe she was psyched up at the new treat! Try them again and see what happens...but just a few, you may get orange poo in the yard, and too many does produce too much poo.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey loves baby carrots. I've never had any problems with her behavior after eating them. She will get soft or runny poops if she eats too many though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A good snack idea I've been trying is slicing/cutting the carrots into bite sized treats. Then I freeze it...the pooches love it. Not only does it help with being to keep a steady supply year round, but they love the chewiness

1 - 14 of 14 Posts