Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we got Wellington my siter said we were only suppose to feed him 1/2 a cup twice a day or he would become over weight. Now to me that 't seem like nearly enough.... So i just fill up his bowl ad let them eat when hungry. What do you guys suggest or have that works with your beagles?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Li'l Girl gets 3/4 cup dry with just a smidgen of canned twice a day. She's fully grown, though, and doesn't require as much as a puppy. Are you feeding puppy food? If so, what's the suggested amount on the bag? Puppy food has considerably more protein, but 1/2 cup twice daily for a 4-month old doesn't seem like quite enough in my opinion. I've never done free feeding for our dogs, but have set times for them to eat. That's always worked well.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Now thats an important question. The problem is it depends on Wellington and any other dog.

1. Have you asked you vet this question?

2. Does Wellington gorge himself or does he nibble?

3. Does the other dog eat from Wellington's bowl?

Our Murphy is a food hound. He begs constantly. He will eat until it causes him discomfort or he is caught stealing (see the 2-1/2 lb. Puperoni thread). He is 33 ponds and only gets 1 cup (plus a small portion of tasty people food) per day. Summer will eat until she is full. Sometimes she empies the bowl, sometimes not. Murphy always finishes his and occasionally hers, but never without her consent.

You do need to be careful that he does not become a food hound.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
When we first got Caesar, we were also feeding him 1/2 cup twice a day. But around 5 months we slowly started adding more at each feeding. He's now 8 months old and eating about 1 1/4 cups twice a day. Is there a feeding guide on the back of the bag of food? We try to follow that guide, plus see how much of it he eats. We feed Caesar Origens, made in Morinville, AB,(I noticed you're in Wainwright) it's 70% protien, 30% fruits & vegis. He loves it but it gives him gas. :pukey: Our vet told us not to feed him too much because Beagles are little piggys and will eat anything put in front of them.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Since Lucky had Parvo as a puppy, we had to force him to eat which was about 1/3 a can a day if we were lucky. Now I give him 2 cups of dry food a day. I leave it out all day, but he only has access to it an hour in the morning, one hour for lunch, and at night for 4 hours. He doesn't eat unless we are eating as well. He eats until he is full. He doesn't overindulge. But he's also a skinny beagle mix!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for weight and age it says Wellington needs 2-3 1/4 cups and Bear for age/weight needs 4-5 1/2 cups they're on Nutro Natural Choice.

Ceasar's Mom where do you buy Origens?

·
Registered
303 Posts
My Bailey eat dry food when he's hungry but some of the time he beg for what we're having.. I leave his dry food in his bowl so it there when he's ready to eat.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two normally get 400 grms of canned food each a day, plus a handfull of dried food. This keeps them just right re weight and they also get treats several times a day. If i notice the weight going up I reduce the dried food.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Wellington:
for weight and age it says Wellington needs 2-3 1/4 cups and Bear for age/weight needs 4-5 1/2 cups they're on Nutro Natural Choice.

Ceasar's Mom where do you buy Origens?
I buy it here in St. Albert at Global Pet Foods. I think because it's a local supplier it won't be in any of the big chain stores.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is about 30lbs but is a lean beagle and is not a found hound. She's very particular about what she'll eat and when and never wolfs down her food. There have been many times when I've fed her and her food has sat for hours.

I give her one can in the morning and then one can in the evening. I also give her a cup of dry food that she eats whenever she wants.

The beagle breed is active by nature...if they don't have a chance to be active they will put on a lot of weight because they're also well known for eating. Make sure your pup is getting a lot of exercise.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mabey I can pick some up next time we go to the in-laws place.

Wellington and Bear play alot together as well as a nightly walk.

He loves to chew on things ie. pigs ears rawhides etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts