Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question

everyone else talks about their beagles "wolfing" down their food. and they say its a beagle thing, thats what they do..

well diesel doesnt. i feed him morning and night, and im supposed to feed him at lunch too cause he is only 5 months but he wont eat lunch.

from what his food bag says he is supposed to have 3 cups a day. so i give him 1 cup dry and 1/2 cup wet food mixed at each meal in the morning and night. i used to just give him dry food mixed with a bit warm water cause he is still loosin teeth. that helps a little.

i just started useing the canned food yesterday and it has seemed to help. but he still does not eat it all.

even with treat he plays with them first and then eats them or leaves them on the floor.

but is that bad?? what should i do?? i feel like im underfeeding him but i dont want to force him to eat.

PS he is a big pup. so i figured he would eat more.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I wouldn't be worried. Many beagles (yes, beagles) don't gulp up the food. Chloe didn't use to finish her bowl when she was younger, but it has improved and she eats almost everything within the 30 minutes she has the bowl available. Since you add canned food, he probably eats more, but you should take under consideration that puppies sometime get distracted, and forget they are hungry or think that the distraction is more important. Keep feeding him twice a day, it sounds right for a 5 months old pup. Give him 20-30 minutes to eat and take the food away. He will gradually learn that when he gets food, he should eat it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Bones wouldn't eat all her food, either, when we first brought her home. What got her to eat all her food at one sitting was skipping her evening meal (we feed the beagles in the morning and at night). She ate all her food in one sitting the next morning and has done so ever since.

·
Registered
443 Posts
What it says on the bag is really only a guideline - go by what your baby will eat. I have Shiloh who is 5 years, a little over 16 inches tall - big boned and weighs 37 pounds. Then I have Shasta who is 17 months, about 14.2 inches tall and weighs 24 pounds. They get about the same amount and I may end up feeding Shasta a little more - she is super hyper. Shiloh is active but no where near hyper like Shasta. Unless your pup looks underfed, is acting listless - I wouldn't worry too much. If you want - maybe ask your vet - I've done that numerous times - especially with Shasta because she is so active.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke is never very interested in his food. He can go all day without eating what's in his bowl, but then at some point during the evening he'll munch it. Sometimes he'll eat it during the day, just depends.

Now if we add canned or treats to it, different story. Then he becomes the beagle we all hear about! LOL Same thing with ANY human food.....he's all over it. He still stays small and weighs around 24 pounds, but he's a healthy weight, accoring to his vet.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks guys...

ya he is always hyper... i got back from lunch late cause when i let him outside he ignored me when i called him back in.then got the case of the "zummies" when i tried to get him inside...

so he is your average active puppy.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is rather picky for a beagle and has been like that since we brought her home.

She has dry food available to her all day long, I put some more in her bowl when she finishes it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kioko doesn't inhale her food, either. She eats rather daintily, and she doesn't eat NEARLY what the bag says. She eats around one cup of kibble per day...and that's all her meals COMBINED.

Because she is so young (8 months), I am not worried. She is a healthy weight and I know her well enough, now, to know that if she wanted to eat more...she would.

SO. Don't worry unless you begin to suspect that your little guy is sick. Otherwise, he'll eat what he needs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yep Glover is the same, he is 5 months, I feed him in the morning and night although I am having trouble feeding him in the morning, he just isn't interested but he is gaining weight so Im not worried!

but I understand where youre coming from, I thought he would inhale everything!!
x
K

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy is the same. I was worried, but after seeing this thread it seems to be normal that pups don't inhale everything. She does eat everything at night, so I guess she's just not hungry. She's gained 4lbs in about a couple of weeks so I guess she's just fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 2 year old beagle Maggie does not scarf down her food, but I leave food down for her all day. I fill the bowls in the morning and she will snack on it for a little bit. I noticed this helped with the separation anxiety when she had food down all the time and it has kept her from over eating because she knows it will always be there. However, my philosophy on why she doesn't eat all of her food at once is because I think she is holding out until the end of the day to see how much "human food" she can beg for during the day /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Overall, I wouldn't be worried!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks he is eating when i put wet food in and i like that. he is gaining weight but at a healthy rate so im not so worried any more.. thanks

ohh and glovercharlie and daisysmom im glad i have someone with the same age pup as me... it makes things a lot easier... and knowing im not the only one going through the puppy years...haha

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maybe with it being winter he's feeling cooped-up inside. I know Henry won't eat his meals unless he's had some structured exercise prior to, and is feeling really hungry. If it's a rainy day and there's not much walking or outdoor playing, Henry's not as interested in his food.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have one chow hound, I swear he can finish his food in less than 30 seconds AM and PM. But he was raised on meal times. Chipper, our 10 year old, is a pick and eat...he can go until noon without touching anything, and then "maybe" have lunch. Maybe not. With him when he was a puppy, we left food out, and he'd eat as he wanted. Once the new baby arrived, that had to change. Our vet says that dogs won't purposely starve themselves if there is food available.....so we offer, and if Chip doesn't want it within 10 minutes, we pick it up and try later. He has a habit of telling us when he wants to eat, he'll scratch at the frig. I'm sure if he could fix his own lunch or meals he would.

Good luck....too bad they like kids don't come with little ticker tapes across their foreheads telling us what they are thinking.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Resued beags are almost always "bottomless pits"! Goober was purchased from a local breeder & never knew "starvation"! Sure' he had a healthy appette in his youth...but as a senior beag he
almost always leaves a few morsels for Homer! He tends to leave
a few "bites" for Homer as I save the last bite of my sandwitch
for them! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif Goober & Homer are my perfect hounds when
it comes to protecting my household...& a beag is the best "starter-kit" you can hope for!

'

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feed my two beagles 2 cups of "Chicken Soup for the Soul" dog food in the morning. They are lean and healthy. They get alot of exercise and are outside all day while we are at work. They join us when we are home in the house and sleep indoors. Just watch their shape and make sure they run a couple hours every weekend and they will be lean and fit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think as long as she's gaining weight, it's fine. My 9 week old eats as soon as I put the bowl down and he's done in like 2 minutes tops. I wonder if this will change as he gets older.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts