Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For as long as I've had Brewster he's been a fast eater. He came to us from his foster Mom's with a ale feeding bowl and since then we've tried just about everything to slow him down. Muffin tins, cookie sheets, more small meals throughout the day, etc., etc. So far, the most effective thing has been to add chunks of apples and/or carrots to his kibble. He's up to about a minute and a half at most. Any other suggestions out there? Or does anyone have experience toning down a food obsession? (Never aggressive though)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

· Registered
5,032 Posts
Natty Boh is a shelter pup. When I first got him, he inhaled his food. I don't think he chewed at all. I started to hand feed him every meal, twice a day. I still hand feed him at least one meal a day. He must sit in front of me and wait. I tell him to "watch" (me) "touch" (his nose to my hand) and then I put a few pieces of kibble at a time into his bowl. Sometimes I tell him to "wait", put the food in the bowl, then "touch" and then release him to eat.

It took a long time for him to slow down. I would say he has only recently started to eat slowly. We adopted him in October, so 6 months. It takes time. Be patient. I like hand feeding, because it is also an opportunity to reinforce commands.

· Registered
494 Posts
Oldie was the same,but has slowed down a little! We were told to scatter his food outside and let him eat that way (to be honest,never tried it,we purchased a bowl which is supposed to stop them eating so fast). I'm now used to the fact he eats so fast and think thy as long as he is not asking himself sick,I'll leave him to scoff! Lol

Sent from Petguide.com App

· Registered
20 Posts
Ours have always been like this too.I use a special bowl with the three towers in it and it helps. What I do most is just dump his food on a wide area on the clean floor of our mudroom so he has to go around and get it piece by piece. He still eats fast but does not choke or throw up any of it. We do make them sit and wait while we prepare the food and they have to be quite while doing this and get an ok command to start eating. It just seems to be a character of our wonderful breed.

· Registered
146 Posts
I bought one of them bowls with the three towers in it too for my new pup Harley. I haven't even met her yet (2 more weeks to go), but I am just assuming she is going to be an inhaler lol

· Registered
6,535 Posts
what is that like? I have a picky eater that approaches her bowl slowly...sniffs...sticks her tongue in it...adjusts her stance...sniffs some more then...eats. It doesn't matter the food...I won't repeat the long list of things I've tried....and did I say...she hasn't eaten yet today? but she's a healthy dog who wants to keep her girlish figure...lol

· Registered
1,443 Posts
what is that like? I have a picky eater that approaches her bowl slowly...sniffs...sticks her tongue in it...adjusts her stance...sniffs some more then...eats. It doesn't matter the food...I won't repeat the long list of things I've tried....and did I say...she hasn't eaten yet today? but she's a healthy dog who wants to keep her girlish figure...lol

I have five in my pack that are slow and very deliberate eaters. Oliver and Lena are the worst. They are in no rush and will pick and choose the kibbles as they go. Very rarely does Oliver actually finish his meal. Lena is very picky on the brand of food. The rest are faster than a Hoover vac sucking up their meals.

· Registered
6,535 Posts
Oh MY6/7...How in the world do you manage a pack of picky eaters?...lol do you feed them all the same or vary it based on their likes/dislikes and times they eat? do you put down 7 bowls of food or go for a trough-style approach...heehee

· Registered
1,443 Posts
Oh MY6/7...How in the world do you manage a pack of picky eaters?...lol do you feed them all the same or vary it based on their likes/dislikes and times they eat? do you put down 7 bowls of food or go for a trough-style approach...heehee
Well Cassie I have seven beagles but I have eleven dogs total and three guinea pigs. I wish I could do the trough style but I'd have a couple really fat beagles and a couple really skinny beagles. Feeding is at set times 5:00A/PM. I try to never change the schedule too much. My 19 year old cocker spaniel doesn't like too much change. You don't want to mess with her.

· Registered
6,535 Posts
Oh shoot me now...I can't imagine taking care of that many critters. Since I posted, Cassie got up from a nap and ate her food at 5:30P. I don't leave it down all day but that was my 3rd attempt at putting food down so it was there longer than usual. I prefer she eat earlier so she doesn't decide to poop at midnight.

Hey when does your gang start the poop patrol after eating at 5P? do you get potty calls after the moon comes out?

· Registered
1,443 Posts
I have seven and a half acres with invisible fence and about a half acre off the house with chain link fence. I love the dog door !!

· Registered
1,443 Posts
Not too worry we only take them out of the chain link when we got out to walk. IF works great but I never fully trust it.

· Registered
47 Posts
Most fun way to slow down your dog: hide it throughout the house! I just put my beagle in the bedroom, scatter the food in what I think are really good hiding places, open the door (maybe point out some food), and let her go! It took her one time of doing this to figure it out. Otherwise, I use a Kong Wobbler (google it) which she has to knock around to get her food out.

· Registered
Dodger
54 Posts
Puzzle bowl, that what Dodger eats of everyday, he inhales food too, but takes him all days to eat 2 cups and I only have to feed him once. They look like mazes inside cool bowls I think I got his at Petco, can’t remember but he’s had it every sense I’ve had him, so if all else fails a puzzle bowls the way to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts