Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early Sunday morning here and not the best way to start a topic but I am at my wits end with a problem with Harley my 5 month old pup.

I feed Harley Nutro dog food. He is 11 pounds and I give him one cup in the morning and 1 at night.

Question 1 - Is that to much food for this tiny pup ?

Queston 2 - Harley can go from 5:00pm to 6:00am without having an accident. The mintute I leave him to go to work he will pooh in his cage.

I've tried everything, leaving a radio on, leaving one of my old shirts in the cage with him. Give him toys, bones to chew. Heck I even sacaraficed my favorite slipper.

I can't seem to stop him from poohing in his cage.

CAN ANYONE OFFER ADVICE.

Sorry to bore you all on a Sunday morning.
Andy.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
First of all Welcome ..... this is a great place to get help.

second ... how big is the crate that you have for Harley? generally, dogs will not eliminate in the area where they sleep. If the crate is big enough for him to poo on one side and sleep on the other it is too big. While crate training mine I cut her space in half.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. The cage has enough room for him to sleep on and just take one step off to stretch.

He has a small foamy chair that he just loves to sleep on in there with him. He has poohed on the chair itself and slept on his mess.

I know gross but he has done it. Keep in mind its the same cage and same chair at night in my room and he has no problems at all at night.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well--- Hello from one Harley to another!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif My Harley though is 1 1/2 yrs old-male, and 38 lbs!! 20" tall !

Anyhow-here is my only thought-Does he go "outside" then to go to the bathroom? I had the WORST time with Harley and his litter mate Sadie-my house is still totally stained all over, to be honest. What finally worked was 1) a schedule. (which it sounds like you have a pretty good one, although that is awfully long for a little one to go) 2) go outside and WAIT.. yes. wait. even in this 10 degree or lower weather. Wait until he goes. If it takes hours. then jump up and down like he did the best thing in the world when he poos outside. That was waht finally worked for us.

Here is my schedule now-(we dont have Sadie anymore, but we have Harley the dad, Maggie his daughter who is 6 months, and now have a stray Chopper who is under 1 yr) they do go out some during the day, usually they are out most of the day either in the pen or on the chain.
At night I feed them when I get home at 5 or 6 pm. 1 cup at each feeding sounds good. Little pups need LOTS of food. We are spoiled here and at night get 1 can of soft food mixed in with hard food and we love it. after an hour or so of playing around, we do our last romp outside around 7 or 8 pm for a little while. then we are inside for the night.

Well, it will come down to whatever works for you and your Harley. All dogs are different and can't be forced to do what someone else does. You two have to work together to get a good schedule.

Good Luck!! Feel free to email me privately on here if you like!
Judi ~Harley~ Maggie~ and our little straggler Chopper

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our pup did the same thing a few times when we first got him. It was frustrating. We also made the area in the crate smaller and had him sleep in there at night. Once we did that he was fine and now has the luxury of sleeping in bed with us at night. He does not have to spend much time in the crate during the day because someone is usually in and out most of the day but when he does there are no accidents now.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
First thing is first.
1- Where did you purchase this pup from?
Pups raised in kennels grow up with the smell of urine and fisces and therefore do not feel the need to be clean as a dog who had the chance to develop in clean quarters would. This is particularly a problem for hounds who then can be very difficult to housetrain.
2- The crate is important.
A crate has to be felt like a den would. So Sammy's Mom is quite right, if it is too big, the dog may not keep it clean. One step in front may be too much. For dogs who do durty their crate the best is to provide them with one big enough to crawl up in, get up and turn around. Nothing else.
Secondly, it must be a "dark" crate. The wire crates are not easily adopted as a den. So it this is the type of crate you have, put a blanket over it on 3 sides. it may just make the difference.
3- How do you clean the crate.
Certain products such as Javex and Mr. Clean insite the dog into dirtying again. After you wash the crate and desinfect it, rince it with white vinegar.
4- Do you excercise your dog before putting him in his kennel?
Excercises promotes bowel movements. In fact, certain dogs like to take a run before doing their business. So if you let him run and play, then lock him up in his crate, the poor baby has no choice but to answer the call of nature in his crate.
A better way would be to let him out, then, put him back in the house where he can be calm and ask for the door if he needs it for at least 20 minutes before putting him in his crate.
5- Do you feed him in his crate when you leave?
This also can give him no alternative but to soil his crate.
If this is the case, feed him early, before going out, before his time of relax in the house.
6- How long do you leave him in his crate.
If you consider that most dogs cannot be clean until sometimes after 16 weeks, at 5 months, it is not always easy for them to hold it for 8 to 10 hours.

Well, I think this covers all of the easy-fix possibility. I hope it will help. Good luck, and do not discourage. This is only one of the many things which is part of the Education of our gowing beagles. In the mean time, we are here if you need us.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow - All great advice.

So i've figured i'm doing most things right. I'm not feeding him to much and I don't feed him in his cage.

I've realized I don't exercise him as much he might need too. I'll try the blanket over the cage trick because it is a wire type cage completely exposed on all sides.

I've been to the breader from where Harley came from. Met his mom and although he didn't come from a puppy mill he was caged with other beagles.

Never thought that would be an issue ?

Thanks again for the advice, i'll give it a try and hopefully the next e-mail from me will be one of praise.

Andy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts