Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every few weeks, Bones runs and slides across the kitchen floor, which is linoleum, then seems to get spooked by the feeling and is afraid to walk on our linoleum floor for a few days. Last night, I picked her up and brought her into the kitchen, and she dug her paws and claws into me for dear life. She won't come in the back door (luckily, she will come in the side door into the carpeted dining room), and both last night and this morning, I had to put her food bowl on carpet so she'd actually eat. Poor Bonesy.

She's always been an anxious dog, and maybe this is just something we're going to have to continue to work on (but how?), else put up with forever. But I'd rather not, as it makes me sad to see her so anxious over absolutely nothing.

Has anyone else run into a similar situation with their beagles or other dogs? Any tips or suggestions would be more than welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I actually saw a case like this on The Dog Whisperer last night. There was a Great Dane that got too excited on linoleum (or some similar type)of flooring when he saw a clear glass window and thought he could get outside. He slid into the pane and knocked himself out. So, as a result he was scared to death of that type of flooring. He basically put a leash on the dog and then took a chair and slowly moved the chair farther into the area until the dog got over it's fear of being on the shiny flooring. The dog just took baby steps until it was walking farther and farther on this flooring.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yep, and there was a similar case on the Dog Whisperer with a lab or a goldie with the same fear. Caesar did the same thing he did with the Great Dane--repetition and positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds interesting - I'll have to see if I can track those episodes down and watch to see what happens.

So far, I've been babying Bones, not carrying her into the kitchen, trying to tempt her with treats, etc., but still letting her in and out an alternate door and feeding her on the edge of the carpet and linoleum. I'll work with her some more tonight. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts