Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks juddymaggie! We put Gunnar on Nutro Senior about 3-4 weeks ago and I noticed he has been throwing up a lot of bile lately. I don't know if it's the food but I guess I'm off to go buy another kind, don't want to chance it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Beagle Mom, a good quality food at a good price is Canidae. Mine are on their chicken and rice formula and love it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Originally Posted By: randycBeagle Mom, a good quality food at a good price is Canidae. Mine are on their chicken and rice formula and love it.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My boyfriend put ours back on Nutro Pro Ultra after we tried out Innova, but only because the pet store where we buy the bags gives a free bag after so many bag purchases. I think the free bag is the next one we get; if so, I am changing them to another food. I think I've heard enough about how the mighty Nutro has fallen in quality that it has reached critical mass. I'm tired of wondering whether the food is bad if the dogs need encouragement to eat (a problem we had last summer in conjunction with our air conditioning woes), and I suspect the ingredients are the culprits behind Spock's allergies.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ok - maybe I am the world's biggest skeptic but when I look at Shiloh & Shasta & see two of the shiney-est coats I have ever seen - two dogs who rarely get bathed and get brushed maybe twice or three times a week; two dogs who have good appetites & drink plenty of water; two dogs who are always ready for a good walk & two dogs who grew up on Nutro & continue to be fed Nutro - I have to wonder about this. Shiloh did have 1 seizure about a year ago - rite after I had given him a piece of hotdog with garlic on it - should have been ok I thought but he has not gotten anymore - nor has he had anymore seizures. Nutro evidently had nothing to do with the seizure since he is still on it. I went to the FDA's website and so far I haven't been able to find anything there about this probe.
Yes, when all the problems with Menu foods was happening, Nutro did pull their wet dog food, including the packets & my dogs never get those anymore.

This link takes you to an article about Nutro AND Candidae pet food - it shows the same picture

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2009/02/pet_food_recalls106.html

The cup of food that is shown, does not look like any of the Nutro food I have fed - I feed Nutro Natural Choice.

Ok - just found a new link - an article written as of yesterday or today - granted it is on a cat subject page but it speaks to the probe by the FDA According to this article - THERE IS NO PROBE. Here's the link-
http://cats.about.com/b/2009/04/20/fda-probe-of-nutro-pet-food.htm
Not just related to cat food but Nutro PET food.

Maybe what is on consumeraffairs.com is true - like I said I am a skeptic. With Beagles, especially my two anyway, I never know if they will pick up something out in the yard - I try diligently to watch them as much as possible but it only takes a second or two. Or if there is trash they sneak into in the house - unless you have your dog under very close scrutiny 24/7 how can anyone be 100% sure of what is going thru the mouth and into the tummy. Yes, it can be scary to think about but so is life sometimes. All we can do is go with our gut and watch our own dogs for changes. Who knows - one of these days I may change dog food but I don't think so at this point.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'll be watching this closely since we have Murphy on Nutro Ultra Puppy food. He appears healthy with a shiny coat and firm stools so I won't be making a change at this time until there's more evidence of a problem with the food.

There is also some information at Nutro's site. They deny that there is an FDA probe. I also agree with Kim'n, it's hard to monitor everything that goes into their mouths, especially with the world of chemicals and cleaners in which we live.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/nutro-food-recall-facts.shtml#consumeraffairs

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Thanks for the information Judy. Its good to stay informed and be cautious. My stepdaughter spent $5000 saving her two cats only a month before the recall. She was feeding a food that later ended up a part of the recall. She had used that food for years and her cats were thriving. All it takes is one tainted batch of ingredients.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I was contacted on my Twitter by someone from Nutro after I reposted the link posted by Judy, and they gave me the same url posted by Pop Rivit. Something to think about. I'm glad this time consumers are being met with a timely response. I think I will still try to find another food at least for Spock because of his allergies, but I have more confidence today in Nutro's ability to respond to pet owner concerns. (I was a little overemotional in my last post in this thread.)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a reply from someone (who supposedly works for Nutro)to the announcement on the ASPCA community blog:

Quote:I work for Nutro Products, and I wanted to share our statement in response to the FDA investigation claims by ConsumerAffairs.com.

On April 20, ConsumerAffairs.com posted a story claiming that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has an ongoing investigation into NUTRO® pet food. This is not true. We have confirmed with officials from the FDA’s division responsible for regulating pet food, the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM), that there is no current or ongoing investigation of Nutro Products, Inc.

We want to assure our consumers, associates, retailers, and all those who feed NUTRO® products to their pets that our products are safe and conform to the standards set by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the U.S Department of Agriculture and the Association of American Feed Control Officials. All NUTRO® products undergo rigorous quality assurance testing beginning with raw ingredients and ending with testing finished products. This includes testing to confirm that no melamine, mold toxins, or pathogenic bacteria are detected in any NUTRO® pet foods.

For the past year, ConsumerAffairs.com, an “independent Web-based consumer news and resource center,” not affiliated with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission or Consumer Reports, has been selectively posting consumer complaints and authoring its own statements that draw false links between isolated instances of illness and death among pets, and the consumption of NUTRO® pet food products.

In February of 2009, a ConsumerAffairs.com posting alleged that a class action lawsuit against Nutro Products in relation to pet health issues was being researched by a law firm. We have not received notification of a class action lawsuit against Nutro Products.

In June of 2008, ConsumerAffairs.com falsely claimed that NUTRO® pet foods may have been the cause of pet health issues in a number of specific cases. In an August 2008 update to that posting, ConsumerAffairs.com reported that ASCPA veterinary toxicologist, Dr. Steven Hansen, concluded after an in depth review that the complaints appear to be random, non-pet food related health issues.

While consumer concerns about NUTRO® product quality are rare, we take every complaint seriously. When we learn of an issue, we work with consumers to obtain information and request that samples of any product in question be submitted for testing at an independent facility. An in-depth review is performed to determine if an issue does exist. Consumers with questions or concerns about NUTRO® products are encouraged to contact our Consumer Services Department at 1-800-833-5330.

Nutro Products, Inc. remains committed to the quality, safety and performance of all our pet food brands. As we have for over 80 years, we strive to deliver the finest natural products to our customers and their pets.
I guess we will just have to see how this pans out.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thank you Judy for posting this - good news to hear. We all need to just stop and ask ourselves, why would a well-known pet food company deliberately taint their food that would end up costing them lost customers and possibly millions of dollars in lawsuits? If it were me - I would want some of the best ingredients in my products - there is no better advertising then true words from your customers.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have been feeding Georgia the lite food made from these people & she has been on it for almost a month now & I have not trouble at all.
she even gets treats from the same company too & thank goodness she is just fine, but I will be keeping this on my mind
I lost my first ever cat given to me from my husband because of the rat poisoned cat food from China

1 - 17 of 17 Posts