Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took the Twins last week to get fixed. Lillie had already went into heat in June and we were told when we got her fixed last week that she was still in heat????? I didn't know a dog stayed in heat almost 10 weeks???

She has not recovered from the spaying very well at all. Hubby seems to think it broke her spirt the way she has been so moody and mopey. She has also been horrible to her Twin so much that Chloe slept on the floor last night. She has been digging in the blankets, sleeping the closet and under beds(she doesn't do that) has milk production and is very ansy. So is it possible she is going through a false pregnancy and that is what the humane society thought was a heat cycle? And how long and what can I do to make her (AND US) more comfortable or get it over with??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I know all dogs are different, but I have never heard of a female being in heat for 10 weeks. Most females are in heat for about 21 days/3 weeks.

As for a false pregnancy...I guess that is possible, but once they spayed her I would have thought that would have stopped that process. I am far from an expert however, so I will hope for a speedy recovery for her and that she returns to her normal self soon.

Good luck and I will keep watching this post to see if we have any members that have better insight into this situation.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
She may be in pain still. How many days ago was it she was spayed?

Although it's possible to spay a dog during her heat it's not the best time. Her womb may have been swollen still and fragile and this makes the surgery more difficult.

A normal heat cycle can be anywhere from 8 to 30 days with 20 days being the norm. 10 weeks is 70 days so something doesn't add up here. Maybe she finish her heat then started another one shortly after.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My neighbor's dog went into heat about 3 weeks before Lillie started back in June. Her puppies are 3 1/2 weeks old now. It has been 5 days since Lillie was spayed. I think that her being around the puppies might have triggered this false pregnancy. Last night I noticed that her teats were totally swollen. And she has milk leaking badly. So we are now keeping the puppies away from our backyard and hopefully this might help some.

Oh and this morning she got into a horrible fight with Chloe because Chloe walked beside my head. Luckily Hubby saw the fight coming on as I was asleep and was able to stop anyone, including me from getting hurt.

·
Registered
448 Posts
OK--- so she DID get spayed, but still now is having swelling teets and milk production? Hmm. Have you called the vet to just talk to them there at all? I just would wonder about some of the hormone left over or something.
Let us know how this works out-- I am really curious
Judi and the gang

1 - 6 of 6 Posts