Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eddie is adjusting to his new home just nicely. However, about a month ago he developed an irritation in his right eye. He began rubbing it with his paw (didn't damage the eye as confirmed by his veterinarian) which gave him a very "pink eye" look. We got drops and an antihistamine ... put a cone on him ... and the eye was back to normal within a week ... although we continued the medication for the full 14 day term as prescribed. Last night I noticed that it's happening again. Tonight the eye is half shut ... and pink.

I've called the doctor and started him on the medication again (with the cone ... poor pooch!)

I assume he must be allergic to something ... but what? Then again ... my assumption could be way off.

Do dogs suffer reaction to poison oak, sumac ... or perhaps other plants? He spends a fair amount of time in the garden (can't resist digging when I'm working out there) ... so perhaps?

Any thoughts to share?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Bonnie had a problem with her eye 3 years ago it turned out to be an eye ulser but you have to dye the eye and look under special light to see it. Once it was diagnosed it was a simple procedure to sort it out.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Is he having "eye goop" (as I call it) discharge? If so that is one thing that indicates allergy.

I'm not a vet but it seems to me that if it went away while on the antihistamine that it's something related to an allergy of some sort.

One other thing... is he chewing/incessantly licking his paws, shaking his head or anything else that could indicate a yeast infection?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chloe's Mom, barking mad, and BeagleBabe.

Chloe's Mom: Good point about why not both eyes.

Barking mad: The vet did use the dye ... but when we go back I'll ask about ulcers.

BeagleBabe: Yes, there has been a bit of "goop." And indeed it did go away with the use of the antihistamine ... but drops too.

He isn't licking his paws or shaking his head.

In any event, it's back to the Vet. And given our new adoption ... Ruby will be going too ... for a check-up. Now she is doing lots of licking of paws ... which could be nerves (she came home with us only yesterday) ... but will also ask that she be checked for a possible yeast infection.

Thanks again for the advice ... it will certainly help as I talk with Dr. Laurie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts