Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new puppy today but when i got him home I noticed on his back feet he had 2 extra toes is that ok?

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
No it is not! Those are called dewclaws and should have been removed by the breeder when the pup was 3 days old. Very few breeds, such as the Briard can, and in fact must keep them in order to follow the standard, but these are placed and shape differently so that they are never a health hazard. In other breeds, the nail grows in a circle and, in forming a ring ends up pearcing the foot which is extremely painful. Dewclaws also often get caught in grass, tweegs, carpet (especially berber), with the result of tearing the toe, also a very painful and costly event.
Depending of the age of your pup and whether it is attached or not (whether the bone of this 5th toe is attached to the rest of the foot or if you can feel it totally lose, as if it was only hanging in the skin), your vet may be able to remove it without any anesthetics, or if you are going to sterilise your pup, you can wait until then while making sure to keep the nail short without cutting the quick (on puppies you can usually see it through the nail), and ask your vet to remove it in the same time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep sounds like dew claws to me too. It isnt very good of breeders to leave them on, and not to be a parrot I'll just agree with all cheerio said. Ask your vet to remove them, till then keep them short.

Mind you I'll bet he is just the cutest little guy? what did you call him? Oh and of course any chance of a pic of him?? Enjoy your new pup.

------------------
Louise, Neo & Trinity

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I hate to sound like a copycat, but those sure sound like dew claws to me, and are usually removed by the breeder before the puppy comes to his new home. Just run your little guy to the vet--I'm sure he can take care of it, no problem.
How old is your new babe? We need all his vital statistics, you know, and pictures!! Congratulations on your new addition.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
we are talking about real toe. Although it is mostly a nail, it still has a bone structure to attached to. It is a remnant of a 5th finger dogs once had and which disappeared over time since there is no need for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SPENCER is my new pup is a 7 week old male beagle I named him spencer but I don't have any pics yet but I will have lots soon. About his toes it isn't only one extra toe on each foot he has two extra toes on each of his hind feet the big one closest to his real toes seams like it is attached but the second one dosent seem to be attached because you can wiggle it around and it just flops.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The dew claw to which Cheerio ande others is referring is very easily removed when the pup is very young. By now, it probably shoulkd to be done by a vet, the longer you wait, the more serious the surgery!

Dew claws serve no useful purpose and can get catch which can be very painful to a pet and in the hunt (No humans nearby) could mean seperation from the pack and could be fatal). That is why they are typically removed.

Extra toes on the feet are also a possibility although I believe uncommon in the beagle breed. For your peace of mind, I'd ask the your vet verify all is ok (When you get his next set of shots or deal with the dew claws).

As a pet, like humans, having an extra toe may not win a beauty contest, or in Spencer's case, best of breed, but it isn't a major defect and should hinder Spencer being all he can beagle!

Can't wait to see pictures of Spencer. If you can get them into yuour computer, you can send them to Murphy's Dad and he will see that they get posted. I think he prefers 640 by 480 in JPeg form but if that confuses you ignore it and send what you have!

------------------
Bob and Bagel

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Annie has dew claws on her front legs, so does Shelby. Are they less of a problem than the ones on the back? Shelby does use the front ones to dig into the ground when going uphill (or does it just look that way?)but I have never seen Annie use hers.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
The dewclaws can be single, the most common, or double, as in Spencer's case. The double dewclaws is very rare in Beagles, but is a requirement in the Briard.
All dogs are born with dewclaws (single) in the front paws. The front dewclaws is now often removed by breeder because it makes a leaner paw in the show ring. This is not necessary however as they are attached close to the paw, out of the way, and has very little chance to get caught given their shape.
I always remove back dewclaws on my pups and never the front one as I have chosen not to engage in what I chose to refer to as a purely esthetic mutilation.
So to answer your question Virginiapeg, in having front dewclaws, Annie is a perfect little girl.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called my vet about Spender's hind dew claws she said he was to old to get it done now but they could do it when he gets netured is that to long to wait
and i'm also wondering if the front one are spossed to be removed
because him and copper will be in the woods alot

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Leave the front ones alone. Keep the back ones trimed to the maximum until you get them removed. If you go to bushy areas, make a little bandage with some Vet-Wrap to keep them close to the leg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts