Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expressing glands

Hi, everyone. I am a new to BW but have already find it addicting. I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem I do with my beagle.

Ever since Coco was a puppy he had some health problems. Now, that he is 3 years old, he still has some minor problems however one of the more persisting problems that he has is the anal sac glands need to be expressed often
...i am talk a couple times a week. I do it myself since the vet showed me how to do it. If I don't then he tends to have accidents on the bed, couch, etc...where he will expressed them on.

I have heard that it's all in his diet. I feed him Science Diet mixed in with some wet food but he still has fulid that needs to be extract and if anyone knows about this not for the faint of heart...the smell it self can make you sick.

Does anyone know of anything that could help?
I know that it's almost painful for him
Any suggestions will be appreciate. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Re: Expressing glands

Wow, that is quite often - almost sounds like an infection. If you are feeding kibble already, that should be helping. How firm are the stools? Certain brands of food make the stool less firm and then the glands can't get cleaned out. My first beagle had a terrible infection in his once and that took awhile to get rid of.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

My female has a little trouble with it, but we have only ever had them done one time. I find that she scoots her butt on the floor though and figure it is because they need to be expressed. I've never seen residue after she scoots though and she does not seem to have accidents as you mention. I would love to learn how to do this on my own because the expense can add up, but I know that it is disgusting so obviously haven't rushed to learn.

Could it be possible that if you did not do it 2x a week that he would do it on his own? I'm thinking of things like lotion or chapstick...if you use them often your body begins to rely on them and doesn't hydrate the skin and lips on its own anymore. Maybe it has been done too much and Coco's body thinks it doesn't have to do the job anymore. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Vet has said it not an infection that it's normal to express the glands...however I refuse to believe it's that normal. He get kibbles and his stools are normal (meaning nothing our of the abnormal). I have noticed that when I walk him and he poops some does come out...it's suppose be released at that point...but we get back home, I sometimes have to finish what he couldn't get out.

Coco does the same thing, he begans to scoot on the floor or he does his little dance/rub his behind against the couch and that's when I know that it's been a while and he needs his expressed

If I don't do it then we have accidents all over the house and it will stink real bad
i know what you are saying about not doing it and maybe his body will start to get use to doing it on its own, however it hasn't work
I just wish there were other alternatives to helping him.

And...I know what you mean about being expensive after a while. I was taking him in once a week and paying $15 untill I finally learned how to do it...gross...but a Mom gotta do, what Mom gotta do.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Another thing that I didn't mention....really gross, sorry. When he does have accidents, he ends up licks it off
Which why I prefer doing it before he does that.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Our vet once suggested adding canned pumpkin to his meal. The added fiber firms up the stool, thus aiding the dog in clearing his glands naturally.

·
Registered
472 Posts

Both of our dogs have this problem They leave residue on the furniture or scoot and that's how I know it's time to take them in. It's been a problem for 11 years. My parents Dachshunds have the same problem and my mother expresses it herself. I don't want to learn so I pay the 17 to have it done. Our vet says it's just one of those things that some dogs have and some don't. It sounds like yours has it a lot, maybe you might want to look into having the glands removed.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

In case you do think a change in diet would be good, check out the Health and Welfare forum for recommendations of dog foods, dog food grading, and sites that rank dog food.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Really? removing them? Aww, I would hate to put him through that
I don't mind doing it however I do wish there was a way to decrease it.

I will try the pumkin thing and change his food. Thanks for the advice on checking out the forum on Health & Welfare Eve :)D

·
Registered
472 Posts

I just recently changed ours over to Innnova and so far so good. We have not been through a whole bag yet but I will let you know if the gland thing calms down with being on this new food.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Oh really? Thanks Beagle Mom
I will look for it next time I go to Petco...or where do they carry it?

·
Registered
472 Posts

They don't sell it at petco. They sell it at specialty pet shops or feed stores. I got mine at a feed store. Another brand I looked at was Blue Buffalo it ranked really well and you can get it at Petco or Petsmart. If you go to their website you can get a $5 off coupon. The dog food threads on here have lots of good info.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ohhh, okay. Will look for it at a feed store then. Hopefully, it works before he makes another booboo on my new bed speard, lol....gotta love him for being a spaz

·
Registered
472 Posts

My kids are always the first to point it out...ewww MOM the dogs got it on the couch again

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

LOL, I know...my bf get sooo grossed out...i think it's funny actually

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

Years ago when dogs were fed a mostly raw diet of meat and bones their poop was very hard and this is why dogs back then rarely had problems with anal glands. The poop needs to be harder than you would probably think it should be in order for the fluid to be squeezed out. Modern diets have too much vegetable/cereal in them. Of course not all dogs that have soft poop are going to get a problem but many do.

It sounds like your dog has had the problem for so long that his sacks are distended and they aren't working properly anymore. If done correctly anal gland removal is safe and effective and a complete cure of course. The glands aren't of any use to him, they are only there as a scenting tool.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts

This thread made me realize that Shiloh hasn't had to have her glands expressed in months and months--I can't even remember the last time!! She is 12 and a half--is it possible that she has outgrown the problem?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Oh wow, thanks Jennifer. I will try switching Coco to more of a raw diet in hopes that it will help. I got home today and expressed him before I took him for a run...hehe. Creating this thread today reminded me of expressing him so I know what you mean Genie

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts

Both Sadie and Pooh Bear have to have their anal glands expressed by the vet every month or so. Sadie's are usually fuller than Pooh's. Can you wait and do it once a month?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts