Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks so much for the good ideas. Ok another question. How often should I be walking her. How much is too much. Should we run some? My husband is a runner and I jog and power walk so there's ample opportunity to get her energy out but I'm afraid of overdoing it. I've heard that she can mess up her joints by being on the asphalt. Should I just run her around the yard a lot or short walks around the neighborhood. Our vet didn't really give me the specifics I'd like-just saying that it's hard to wear them out.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi, and welcome!!!
You should walk her as often as possible at first (until she is housetrained) but try to do it in regular times (like with a baby nap time). Don't! run with her, not until she is at least 1.5 years. You can definitely run and let her chase you around the yard, or play with her extensively until she is tires (and then: quiet - nap time).
I have a 6.5 months old puppy and I would love to take her running with me, but I hold myself because I know she won't handle it, and if she will - it will hurt her.
When playing with her running, don't run after her, but let her get used to running after you, that way she will be used to following you, and eventually easier to master the "come" command.
Another reason is that when you run after her, she is the pack leader and you don't want that, you are the leader and she follows.

Good luck :thumbup:

Oh.... almost forgot - pictures please :heart: !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh believe me, your beagle is Dakota his name? He will tell you when the time comes for every thing. Charlie will jump up and down when he sees me in my gym clothes, go walking. Especially there is a ritual to it, my sun glasses, the socks, tennis shoes. When he is tire, he would slow down, and eventually to a stop abruptly. :biglaugh:
I think Dakota is a little too young to run though. I agree with every thing Chloe's mom just said.
Welcome aboard!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts