Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I posted on here a few weeks about about picking up my new 15 month old beagle. So far, she's been great! She walks on the leash very well, and will even go running along side me for a few miles. I've only had her a week, but she still cries and barks quite a bit when I am not in the same room as her. When I leave her for work, she barks quite a bit. I left a voice recorder at home today to see how long she barks for. Hopefully only a few minutes. Any suggestions on how to break that? I'm hoping its just an adjustment period and not a long term separation anxiety issue. We are starting obedience classes in a week, so hopefully they can help as well.

I do have another question... seeing as beagles are active dogs, she definitely does a lot better regarding sleeping and not barking when she's had a good amount of exercise. I currently take her for a 10-15 minute walk in the morning, then again at lunch (I come home from work) and then at 5:30 or so, at a minimum go for a 20-30 minute walk. If I can, I take her for a run to get her some exercise.

I'm worried that once the winter comes (I'm in boston) all of those long runs won't be possible and she is going to have a lot of energy. The long walks may be tough too if its rainy and freezing out. Any suggestions on how to give her the exercise she needs during the 6-8 months of snow and crappy weather?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't know about the barking because Tucker has seperation anxiety, but I do know about the excercise. You can teach a dog to walk on a treadmill. You have to make sure you are always right there with them, but they can learn. Our old vet had one in her office for people to use and for rehab. I have also seen it done on the Dog Whisperer. I have never done it myself, but I don't have a treadmill.

However, I have found my favorite time of the year to walk Tucker has been December evenings. I really enjoy walking when it is dark and looking at the Christmas lights in the neighborhood. Just find a coat that they can tolerate. I will admit, where I lived was much milder weather than Boston. I am looking forward to doing it here in Utah. Tucker actually likes snow better than rain, he doesn't get so wet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, Rocky hasn't had a winter yet, and he's only 5 mths, but when we have had bad weather we just have a grand ole chase and fetch session right here in the house. Wears him out good!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Being from Pittsburgh, I have had my share of bad weather experiences. In the winter, I try to walk our normal route (about 45 mintues) unless it is REALLY unbearable out. If we are stuck inside, we play stair fetch. Basically just toss the ball down the stairs a million times, and he'll race up and down to fetch it. He has fun, it wears him out, and that makes me happy

p.s. I usually try to sign up for some type of obedience class in the fall/winter. The mental exercise also tires him out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I think the treadmill is a possibility, but I may not have room for it in my place. I don't have a huge home, so it could be an issue. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I found that when there is a lot of snow, like we had up here last winter, it tires them out a lot faster! I just took them out in the yard on their leashes and ran around for awhile and they came in pooped!

For the really cold days, just quick walks and some indoor play does the trick!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just make sure you keep them warm and protect their feet. Petroleum jelly works well to coat the pads, as well as something called Bag balm. It's jelly they sell at feet stores (and Walmart) that is specifically for animals. It heals chapped skin and protects sensitive skin. Once winter gets a little closer, check out a feed or pet store and you'll find some products that work great as well. And once you get home from your walkies, give the feet a quick once over for ice, cuts, or super cold spots.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
The winter issue shouldn't be bad. I live north of where you are and Molly does okay outside for awhile as long as we are moving and its not icey. Don't bother with boots, they will get chewed off those beagle feet! There are a lot of indoor play time things you can do. I play chase, hide treats and have her seek, throw her ball all over etc. You can also do pet store visits and walk up and down the the aisles.

Molly used to bark and whine when I left for work. I got her a Busy Buddy today and a kong toy from Target and hand her one as I leave. Always make your comings and going non-eventful, just say bye-bye and go. Also, if possible be sure she can't see you out the front window or door. Molly is gated in the kitchen with the TV on and her toys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts